Summary: Answering Question about Tithing you can also listen at www.preaching.co.nr
Last time I establish that in Life God owns every thing and is the Giver of every thing we have. Ps 24v1 God has given Time, Talents, Possessions and Money.
God is more concerned with HOW we care for what he has given rather than the amount we have got. We are called to be good stewards of our Time, Talents, Possessions and Money.
I encouraged you to remember God is more concerned with HOW we give to him rather than the amount we give to Him.
How we give is a result of HOW we care for our Spiritual Well being. If you give your Time, Talents, Possessions and Money with a stinking sinful heart that is resentful and reluctant, you would be better not to give. Psalm 24:4 He who has clean hands and a pure heart.
The reality is that many people do not give, particularly when it comes to money. It is estimated that only 6% of born again Christians in the USA tithe.
Why do many people not give?
1. Some sections of the Church have allowed it self to be considered inconsistent and irrelevant and so a waist of money. Gay Clergy, Sorry to Darwin, Don’t say father
2. Some sections of the Church are always asking strangers for money, to fix its roof or fix its heating, and often taking offerings at weddings and funerals. I believe we are responsible for our own house and should not be asking strangers or non-believer to pay up.
3. The Cost of living, church is often on the bottom of the shopping list if it makes on to their at all. For Christian the cost of living is a Mind Set influenced by the WORD not media “Therefore do not worry, saying, ‘What shall we eat?’ or ‘What shall we drink?’ or ‘What shall we wear?’ For after all these things the Gentiles seek. For your heavenly Father knows that you need all these things. But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you. Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about its own things. Sufficient for the day is its own trouble." Matthew 6:31-34
"And my God shall supply all your need according to His riches in glory by Christ Jesus. Now to our God and Father be glory forever and ever." Philippians 4:19-20
3. Independent Resistance “You can’t tell me what to do with my Time, Talents, Possessions and Money” “You can’t tell me how much to give.” Well it is God that is telling us not the Pastor; I am only the message carrier.
4. ‘Charity fatigue’ children in need, comic relief, humanitarian disasters are all calling on people to give. Even religious channels and ministries have regular appeals to give to them.
5. Bad teaching that twists the truth to suit their ministry. There are extremes on both sides; claims that tithing is not New Testament and than if you don’t tithe you bring yourself under a curse.
I think it best to help us understand the Biblical teaching on giving to answer some of the questions I have been asked.
1. What is tithing? Tithing is a directive from the Lord in his call upon our live to be a generous giving people. TODAY Tithing is normally associated with our financial income and God calls us to give 10% to Him. Lev 27v30-33 God has given us an easy percentage to work with, image if we should give 10.3%!
2. Is tithing in the New Testament? The word ‘tithe’ cannot be found in the New Testament, just like the words Rapture, Trinity, Christmas, Easter, and ‘living in sin’ cannot be found in the Bible.
Much of the New Testament is written because of problems in the early church, they didn’t have a problem with tithing, because most of them came from Jewish backgrounds and tithing was natural to them.
Jesus encouraged tithing with a right attitude, Matthew 23:23:"Woe to you, teachers of the law and Pharisees, you hypocrites! You give a tenth of your spices—mint, dill and cummin. But you have neglected the more important matters of the law—justice, mercy and faithfulness. You should have practiced the latter, without neglecting the former.
Tithing was a godly practice before the Law was introduced Genesis 14:18-20, 28:22 & Heb 7:1-4 and so cannot be considered Old Covenant.
3. Where should I Tithe? Everyone wants your money, Tesco, Asda and God. If I am giving to God why should I give it to the Church? “Bring the whole tithe into the storehouse, so that there may be food in My house, and test Me now in this," says the LORD of hosts, "if I will not open for you the windows of heaven and pour out for you a blessing until it overflows.” Mal 3:10.