Summary: This sermons helps couples communicate, particularly a wife to her husband.
I. WHAT MAKES A MAN TICK
• Work, accomplishment, protect and provide.
• Achieving means everything.
• Man was made to work.
• Genesis 2:15, “The Lord God put the man in the Garden of Eden to care for it and work it.”
• Ephesians 5:31-33, “A man leaves his father and mother and is joined to his wife, and the two are united into one...the wife must respect her husband.”
• Men live and die on respect.
• This is why historically the military motivates soldiers with honor, not love.
II. WHY RESPECT WORKS
• In conflict, if a man doesn’t feel respected he emotionally begins to shut down, not hear.
• Women often think this is arrogance.
• Sometimes shutting down is a way to keep life, to not over react or blow up.
• For some wives, their level of complaining and criticizing goes up and we have a crazy cycle.
• Acting with respect does not render you powerless.
• Your complaining and nagging won’t accomplish that.
• Men shut down and withdraw when they feel assaulted and demeaned.
• Secretly some of your husbands think you despise them.
• Proverbs 21:19, “It is better to live in a desert land than with a contentious and vexing women.”
• Proverbs 12:4, “An excellent wife is the crown of her husband, but she who shames him is like
rottenness in his bones.”
• Ladies stop trying to be the Holy Spirit to your husband.
• In conflict ask yourselves, “Is what I am about to say unloving or disrespectful.”
III. MEN CONNECT WITH EXPERIENCES
• Men love shared experiences.
• We connect by working together.
• Women connect by sitting and talking.
• Men connect by sharing activities.
• Titus 2:3-4 - Teach them to be friends with their husbands!
• Men bond side by side - at work, at play
• Healthy relationships need both!
• Ladies sit with your guys, friend to friend.
• Guys talk to your ladies, sit and listen, be still and don’t direct or fix everything.