Summary: A Lesson in how to defeat Satan by putting on the Whole Armor of God.
As believers in Christ we are engaged In spiritual warfare, whether we want to be or not. We must learn how to equip ourselves to go into battle. Today we will not only learn what we need but we will learn how to defeat the enemy:
1) Remember where the true battle is.
2) Put on the whole armor of God.
3) Engage in the battle through prayer.
Our topic for today is "Giving the Devil Hell"
As Christians it is our responsibility no it is our duty to "Give the Devil Hell."
I. REMEMBER WHERE THE TRUE BATTLE IS
(Eph 6:10-12 NKJV) Finally, my brethren, be strong in the Lord and in the power of His might. Put on the whole armor of God, that you may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil. For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this age, against spiritual hosts of wickedness in the heavenly places.
A. If we are going to truly give the devil hell and defeat him and his strategies against us, we better make sure that we are fighting the battle where the battle truly lies.
1. In the previous verses of Ephesians chapter 6 and the latter part of chapter 5, Paul deals with relationships between people.
a. These are flesh and blood relationships.
b. In these verses there is wisdom shared concerning how to get along with one another.
2. But then when we get to verses 10-12 there’s a different attitude we are to take on now. It’s not one of submission, love and getting along, but it’s one of fighting and war.
a. The reason for the difference? The Word is now talking about how to deal with the devil.
b. We are to hate and reject and war against and desire to destroy the devil.
3. When we really begin to understand what Satan endeavors to do against us, our families, and our church, then we will understand the importance of warring against him.
a. Understand that the devil literally wants to destroy you. He’s not wanting to cause you little problems.
b. The devil isn’t trying to tempt you just so that you’ll sin. No, he’s trying to drag you to the place where you will forsake and turn your back on Almighty God.
13 And the LORD God said unto the woman, What is this that thou hast
done? And the woman said, The serpent beguiled me, and I did eat.
As we see in this scripture Satan used deceit to trick Eve into
disobeying God. And just as he used Eve he’ll use one of your
loved ones as well.
c. The devil knows his destiny and he wants to take as many people with him as he can.
d. Part of his strategy is to keep the church from bringing in new members and rescuing people from his grasp.
B. As Christians it is imperative that we avoid wrestling against flesh and blood.
1. Our battle is not against people.
a. Our fight is not against others in the church.
b. However, many Christians have spent more time fighting with others in the church than they ever have with the devil. And the devil likes that.
c. Everytime you engage in flesh and blood conflicts you score points for the enemy.