Summary: We all need to be more faithful to witness for Jesus, and the Lord will help us do it. Jesus will help us overcome: 1. our inadequacies. 2. our inhibitions. 3. our inexperience. 4. our indifference.
Go Tell Your World
Sermon by Rick Crandall
McClendon Baptist Church - Oct. 26, 2008
*John 4 tells the great story of a Samaritan woman whose life had been broken. She had been married 5 times, and now was living with a man outside of marriage. This woman was scorned by her neighbors, and broken by her sin.
*But then one day she went to the well and met Jesus!
-She found out that Jesus knew all about her troubled past, but that He still cared for her. Jesus talked with her and showed concern for her. He treated her with compassion and respect. Jesus cared so much for this woman that He even gave her the living water of everlasting life.
*This woman’s life was changed forever when she met Jesus. She was saved by trusting in Jesus the Christ. And she rushed back to town to tell everyone how Jesus had changed her life.
*Has Jesus changed your life? If He has, then just like this Samaritan woman, you have a story to tell. That’s what we will focus on today.
*Let’s get started by reading vs. 24-30. There Jesus said:
24. God is Spirit, and those who worship Him must worship in spirit and truth."
25. The woman said to Him, "I know that Messiah is coming" (who is called Christ). "When He comes, He will tell us all things."
26. Jesus said to her, "I who speak to you am He."
27. And at this point His disciples came, and they marveled that He talked with a woman; yet no one said, "What do You seek?" or, "Why are You talking with her?"
28. The woman then left her waterpot, went her way into the city, and said to the men,
29. "Come, see a Man who told me all things that I ever did. Could this be the Christ?"
30. Then they went out of the city and came to Him.
*Christians, we need to be like this woman. We all need to be more faithful to witness for Jesus. Howard Hendricks once said, “In the midst of a generation screaming for answers, Christians are stuttering.”
*Bill Bright was the founder of Campus Crusade for Christ. He was also responsible for the “Jesus” film, which has been seen by over a billion people around the world. Bright’s organization once helped to survey millions of believers. Sadly, they found out that 98% of us do not regularly introduce others to our Savior. (1)
*98% of Christians don’t witness for the Lord?!?
-We have got to help turn that number around.
-We all need to be more faithful to witness for Jesus.
-And the Lord will help us do it, just as He helped the woman at the well.
1. First, Jesus will help us overcome our inadequacies.
*Many times we feel inadequate to serve the Lord because of our past failures.
-This poor Samaritan woman knew all about failure.
-She had not one or two, but five failed marriages.
-Her life had been broken by her own sin, and by the sin of people she trusted.
-Her background was terrible.
-But then she met Jesus and her life was changed forever.
*Jesus Christ has the power to change our lives, because He is the Lord God Almighty who died on the cross for our sins and rose again from the dead!