Summary: God gives us the strength we need to go the distance with Him
Go the Distance Part II
2 Timothy 3:10-4:8
June 7, 1998
A. Passion - The Holy want to: Genuine love, desire to serve & prioirty of focus
B. Preparation - Paying the price for growth: Prayer & petition of God, study of the Word, & faith
II. Where are we going?
A. We decide where we go: The future of this church is being decided now, we are currently making the decisions that produce our future, in the constant of the present is where the future is forged,
B. What kind of Christian do you want to be?: Life is like a taxi. The meter keeps ticking whether you are getting somewhere or just standing still. - Lou Erickson,
We will become what we desire to become, if we have no desire we will become nothing, we must place a central focus on becoming what God wants for us to become
III. Perspiration - Working hard
“If you’re not doing something with your life, it doesn’t matter how long it is.” Peace Corps Commercial
A. Works of Faith - James 2:20-24
You foolish man, do you want evidence that faith without deeds is useless? Was not our ancestor Abraham considered righteous for what he did when he offered his son Issac on the altar? You see that his faith and his actions were working together and his faith was made complete by what he did. And the scripture was fulfilled that says, “Abraham believed God, and it was credited to him as righteousness,” and he was called God’s friend. you see that a person is justified by what he does and not by faith alone.
1. We are called to serve God: Faith is essential to salvation, works and deeds do not save, they are the example and proof of salvation, faith without works is dead we can not say that we love God and do nothing to serve him
2. We are called to serve others: Our love for God is the key motivation to serve others, our love for others is proven by how we serve them, if we are serving no one do we really love them or God for that matter?
B. Servants are Active
“The harder you work, the harder it is to surrender” - Vince Lombardi
1. They serve out of love: Love helps keep our motives right and pure, love keeps our focus on God and others, it keeps us from being selfish, love creates the desire to serve
2. They are not inactive: Servants who do not serve are not servants, it is complete ignorance or arrogance to believe that you can be a Christian and not serve, it is impossible, some people are trying to do this in the church, servants work hard for God, the goal is to please God, do whatever it takes to serve God, we cannot serve God by doing nothing
3. They are not destructive: Servants are more concerned about God’s agenda than their agenda, God’s will is a chief motivation, longing to obedient - if we are more focused on gossip, slander and malicious talk it is destructive - our focus should be God not talk, If you talk the talk; you must walk the walk
IV. Perspective - Willingness of the Mind
A. Why we serve
1. The Right reasons: Proper motivation, we do things because it is what God wants, we are not to do things to keep a good image, keep our positions and titles