Summary: Looking at the reality of global warming, the fact of future man-made global warming, and God’s solution to these problems: Climate change!
GOD BELIEVES IN GLOBAL WARMING
2 Pet. 3:10-13
1. "Al Gore once came out with a movie about global warming called 'An Inconvenient Truth.' It's described as a detailed scientific view of global warming. President Bush said he just saw a film about global warming, 'Ice Age 2; The Meltdown.' He said, 'It's so much better than that boring Al Gore movie.'" --Jay Leno
a. It had been a hard winter in the Rockies. The snow piled up deeper & deeper. The temperature dropped below zero and stayed there.
b. The rivers froze over. People were suffering. The Red Cross used helicopters to fly in supplies.
c. One day the rescue helicopter spotted a cabin nearly submerged in snow. A thin wisp of smoke came from the chimney.
d. The men figured those people in the cabin were probably critically short of food, fuel, and medicine.
e. Because of the trees they had to set down about a mile from the cabin, put the emergency equipment on their backs and hike through the waist deep snow to reach the cabin.
f. Exhausted, panting and perspiring, they reached the door and knocked. A thin, gaunt mountain woman finally answered.
g. The lead man panted, “Ma’am, we’re from the Red Cross.”
h. SHE WAS SILENT FOR A MOMENT, AND THEN SHE SAID, "IT’S BEEN A HARD LONG WINTER, SONNY. I JUST DON’T THINK WE CAN GIVE ANYTHING THIS YEAR!"
3. Confronted with the embarrassment of historic cold gripping the nation last year just as the Obama administration launched a new offensive on the global warming crisis, they invented their most knee-slapping assertion yet; that global warming causes winter cold snaps.
4. Other things declared to be evidence of global warming is the polar vortex, colder winters, more sea ice, the Ebola virus, the California drought, the Syrian civil war, crime, and sex slaves & prostitutes.
B. CLIMATE CHANGE DEFINED
1. We confuse climate with weather. They’re not the same thing.
2. Climate is defined as "a significant and lasting change in the statistical distribution of weather patterns over periods ranging from decades to millions of years." 3. Climate controls weather, dictates what the weather will be like.
4. Then there’s the subject of global warming, especially man-made global warming. This is one of the greatest political footballs among world governments.
1. So tonight we’re going to look at the reality of global warming, the fact of future man-made global warming, and God’s solution to these problems: Climate change!
2. The title of tonight’s message is “God believes in Global Warming.”
I. GLOBAL WARMING PROS & CONS
A. THE CASE AGAINST MAN-MADE GLOBAL WARMING
1. NO RECORD TEMPS FOR 15 YEARS
a. In his article, “What happened to global warming?”, BBC News Climate correspondent Paul Hudson revealed that contrary to popular opinion, the warmest year recorded globally was not in 2009 or 2010, but in 1998. For the last 11 years we have not observed any increase in global temperatures.
b. U.S. News published an article on Nov. 14, 2012 entitled, “Antarctic Sees Record Growth in Sea Ice.” It details the most intense cold to hit Russia in over 70 years.
c. Another article says, “The U.S. has been cooling since the 1930s, the hottest decade on record.” [Global Warming 2014: The Scandal of Fiddled Global Warming Data].
2. NATURAL CYCLES ARE RESPONSIBLE
Climate change skeptics argue that the man-made gas -- carbon dioxide – is not the reason the earth is heating up, but rather natural cycles, over which we have no control, that are dictating how warm the planet is. What is the evidence for this?
3. 98% OF WARMTH COMES FROM SUN
a. First, scientists know that 98% of the Earth's warmth comes from the Sun. But research on solar warming over the last 30-40 years has demonstrated that the warming of the last 20 to 40 years hasn’t been caused by solar activity," said Dr Piers Forster from Leeds University, a leading contributor to this year's Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC).
b. But solar scientist Piers Corbyn claims that solar charged particles are almost entirely responsible for what happens to global temperatures.
4. OCEAN CYCLES
a. Professor Don Easterbrook from Western Washington University believes Ocean cycles are the Earth's great heat stores.
b. The oceans, he says, have a cycle in which they warm and cool cyclically. The most important one is the Pacific decadal oscillation (PDO).
c. For much of the 1980s and 1990s, it was in a positive cycle, that means warmer than average. But in the last few years it has been losing its warmth and has recently started to cool down. This cycle could last for 30 years.
October 6, 2014 article, “The “heat went to the oceans” excuse and Trenberth’s missing heat is AWOL – deep ocean has not warmed since 2005.”