Summary: God WILL bless us if we honor Him & serve Him.
God Bless America
June 29, 2008 Morning Service
Immanuel Baptist Church, Wagoner, OK
Message Point: God WILL bless us if we honor Him & serve Him.
Focus Passage: 2 Chronicles 7:14-22
I. America’s Past
a. Pilgrims 1620: Christians leaving England for religious freedom. They intended on going to Virginia, but the boat was blown northward. They decided the boat couldn’t make it to Vir. so they landed near Cape Cod, Mass. Before landing, they wrote what is known today as “The Mayflower Compact.” It began with these words: “In the name of God…, we whose names are underwritten… Having undertaken, for the glory of God, & advancement of the Christian faith…, a voyage to plant a first colony in the northern part of Virginia, do… solemnly & mutually in the presence of God, & one of another, covenant, & combine ourselves together…”
b. Founding Fathers - It cannot be emphasized too strongly or too often that this great nation was founded, not by religionists, but by Christians, not on religions, but on the gospel of Jesus Christ! Patrick Henry.
c. He who shall introduce into public affairs the principles of Christianity will change the face of the world. Benjamin Franklin,
d. Do not let anyone claim the tribute of American patriotism if they ever attempt to remove religion from politics. George Washington from his Farewell Address to the Nation.
II. America’s Present
a. Evolution Scopes v State of TN 1925 (Monkey Trials)
b. Prayer in School Reed v. Van Hoven, 1965.
c. Abortion Roe v Wade 1973
d. Gay Marriage California 2008
III. America’s Future
a. Edward Gibbon, author of The Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire, has attributed the fall of the Empire to:
1. The rapid increase of divorce; the undermining of the dignity and sanctity of the home, which is the basis of human society.
2. Higher and higher taxes and the spending of public monies for free bread and circuses for the populace.
3. The mad craze for pleasure; sports becoming every year more exciting and more brutal.
4. The building of gigantic armaments when the real enemy was within, the decadence of the people.
5. The decay of religion--faith fading into mere form, losing touch with life and becoming impotent to warn and guide the people.
b. (Micah 6:8 NASB) He has told you, O man, what is good; And what does the LORD require of you But to do justice, to love kindness, And to walk humbly with your God?