Summary: God’s call is always a call to change and commitment
1. PARTICULAR CALL
A. God’s Call is Selective “and saw”
1. To Study and Comprehend
2. To Understand how a thing works
3. See beyond the surface
B. God’s Call is Specific “named Levi”
1. “Whosoever will” may come – after they are called
2. It is God who desires to save you
3. It is God who stirs your heart
4. Knows you by name and calls you!!
C. God’s Call is Immediate “sitting at the receipt of custom”
1. Matthew 8:19-22 (KJV)
And a certain scribe came, and said unto him, Master, I will follow You whithersoever You go. 20 And Jesus said unto him, The foxes have holes, and the birds of the air have nests; but the Son of man has not where to lay his head. 21 And another of his disciples said unto him, Lord, suffer me first to go and bury my father. 22 But Jesus said unto him, Follow me; and let the dead bury their dead.
2. 2 Corinthians 6:2 (KJV)
2 (For he said, I have heard you in a time accepted, and in the day of salvation have I succored you: behold, now is the accepted time; behold, now is the day of salvation.)
4. God’s Call is Clear “Follow Me”
1. Religion & man has clouded His call
2. First, Foremost & Always “Follow Me”
3. 16 times Scripture records Jesus commanding
2. PERSONAL RESPONSE
1. Luke said Matthew “left all”
a. act as if something is worthless
b. leave w/o expectation of return
Ben Wofford caught a bass worth $21,786 on April 11, 1992 at the Texas Bass Championship Tournament on Lake Conroe. His 7.64 pound fish was the fourth largest fish overall but according to Rule Number 6, Ben’s fish didn’t qualify. The fish was fine but Ben wasn’t. Rule 6 clearly stated that all contestants must wear the official tournament hat they were issued at check-in. Ben opted instead to wear his "lucky" cap and left the tournament headgear in his partner’s truck. Because of Ben’s small error he was denied any prize money. The Bible is clear, salvation requires identification with Jesus Christ as your Savior and Lord--you must wear his hat. Unfortunately, though, many people feel their "lucky" cap is a better option and they end up forfeiting the greatest prize of all, eternal life. * Houston Post, April 16, 1992, Front page
2. Cost of receiving Jesus is great
a. He become primary & all else secondary
B. Commitment “he arose”
1. W/o thought of what others might think
2. Publicly making his decision
3. Few moments I will give you the opportunity
C. Commencement “and followed Him”
1. His walk with Jesus began immediately
a. not after proving or learning to be a good person
2. “follow” – spend time with; go the way together
3. It is when we follow Jesus that we become like Him
Luke 9:59-62 (MSG)
Jesus said to another, "Follow me."
He said, "Certainly, but first excuse me for a couple of days, please. I have to make arrangements for my father’s funeral."
60 Jesus refused. "First things first. Your business is life, not death. And life is urgent: Announce God’s kingdom!"
61 Then another said, "I’m ready to follow you, Master, but first excuse me while I get things straightened out at home."