Summary: God creates, sees, blesses and commands
• Out of nothing (1:1, ex nihilo)- Hebrew: bara, rare word applied only to God
cf. Man born blind (John 9:32)- literally, “Before the aeons, before the ages, it has been unheard of that anyone opened the eyes of one who was born blind.”
• Through recycling!- Hebrew, yasar- a technical potter’s word, humans (2:7) and animals (2:19) formed from clay of ground!
cf. John 9:6- Jesus “spat on the ground, made some mud with the saliva, and put it on the man’s eyes.”
• By dividing- the cosmos is formed by making distinctions. God differentiates between:
o Light and dark (1:4)
o The seas and sky (1:6,7)
o The seas and earth (1:9)
The parallel passage in John 1 describes the Son of God as the Word and as the true Light that shines in the darkness. Jesus says to Nicodemus, “This is the verdict: Light has come into the world, but men loved darkness, instead of light, because their deeds were evil” (John 3:19). On the day of judgement, Jesus will divide the sheep from the goats (Matthew 25). Evil- chaos- mixes up good and evil in a big muddle- “Woe to those who call evil good and good evil, who put darkness for light and light for darkness, who put bitter for sweet, and sweet for bitter” (Isaiah 5:20).
Do we make distinctions between good and evil? Or are we performing good deeds to compensate for the evil in our lives? Can we learn, as John says, to sharply hate the world just as much as we love the Lord?
• Through speaking- 8 x “God said.” Until God spoke, nothing existed. Such is the power of God’s words that once He has said them, there is a 100% probability they will become reality.
cf. Jesus- John 11:43- “Lazarus, come out!”- the dead man came out. Simple as that!
Every word that proceeds from the mouth of the mouth of God is true and each of His promises to you will come true with a 100% probability. It is as likely as God will keep His promises to you as it is that He made the universe. “Thy word is true from the beginning, and ever y one of thy righteous judgements endureth for ever” (Ps.119:160). Most common promise in the Bible? Do not be afraid!
Something else: even the devil knows this- “Tell this stone to become bread” (Luke 4:3).
2. Sees & blesses
• As finishing touch. 7 x “God saw that it was good.” There is a chain of progression: God speaks, things come into being, He sees they are good and He blesses them. But what is the difference with us? When God made man, His creation was finished (2:1) and it was very good.
• What? Man as the crown of His creation, as the only creature made in His image. Verse 26, “Let us…” Elohim, plural noun, singular verb! Clue of Trinity. All other pagan uses of similar words have plural verbs. Only our God is the true God, only one God, three distinct Persons.
So we are made in this tripartite image, body- soul (mind/emotions/will)- spirit.
o Moral- made to do what is good and right and to shun what is evil
o Spiritual- made to endure, even after the physical is done away with
o Ruling- made to govern creation as God’s viceroy