Summary: God desires that ongoing and open fellowship exist between him and his children. The need of the hour is that the children of God might hear their heavenly father speaking to them.
Message series, Recognizing the voice of God
God desires the fellowship of his children
Text: John 10:1-5, 22-27
1. Read opening story attached about lady w/prophesy for pastor
A. What is the desperate need of the hour in which we live?
1. Amid all the voices crying out to us…
a. Buy this house
Drive this car
Attend this church
Drink this beverage
Date this person
Believe this doctrine
2. The desperate need is that we might hear God speak to us,
a. Not just through the Word,
not just through a brother or circumstances,
but His Spirit speaking to our spirit.
3. With so many folks saying, God told me to do this and God told me to do that… it is imperative we learn to hear from God and make sure it is him giving us our direction.
a. John says, "Little children, ye have heard that antichrist shall come, even now are there many antichrists; " (1 John 2:18, KJV)
An antichrist person impersonating Christ with a false message from the Lord
b. Paul say, "Now the Spirit speaketh expressly, that in the latter times some shall depart from the faith, giving heed to seducing spirits, and doctrines of devils;" (1 Timothy 4:1, KJV)
B. God desires that we fellowship with him
1. Jesus says that, "My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me:" (John 10:27, KJV)
Note it does not say, my sheep know my book – it is excellent to know God’s book, but even more so to know his voice in our hearts.
2. Just like an earthly father communicates with his children so God
longs to communicate with us
a. What child is it that gets all his instruction form his father out of a book? What an absolute lonely life that would be.
b. As a Christian father writes up a list of rules for his children to follow, he also verbally keeps repeating the rules to his children.
So through the written word as well as the spoken word, he continues to teach his children.
3. God has given us the Bible to test all revelation that we receive
a. If someone comes to you and says God told me to leave my husband or wife and go live with another, how will we know if it was true?
b. I had an uncle who told me he did not need to go to church to remain a Christian. He said he could prove it from the Bible
Is that a true statement? No. How do we know? The word tells us in
"Do not stop getting together as some has done, but get together and encourage one another even more, as ye see the end times approaching." (Hebrews 10:25, KJV)
C. God speaks to those who listen
1. Does God speak to his children today?
2. In what manner does God speak to us today?
His Spirit to our spirit
3. His Spirit moves within our spirit and communions with us
a. (Romans 8:16, KJV) "The Spirit himself beareth witness with our spirit, that we are the children of God:"
b. (Galatians 4:6, KJV) "And because ye are sons, God hath sent forth the Spirit of his Son into your hearts, crying, Abba, Father."
1. Oh, the blessed privilege that is ours to speak, face to face, in the spirit with our heavenly father.
2. I’ve often said, you don’t know what love means, until you hear your heavenly father tell you.