Summary: John the Baptist said that Jesus would "baptize you with the Holy Spirit and fire.” (Luke 3:16). We need a fresh outpouring of the Holy Spirit and fire on the church today!
CLOSE ENCOUNTERS #3 – JESUS THE BAPTISER IN THE HOLY SPIRIT
• For the past couple of weeks, we have been considering the Foursquare Gospel:
The red cross - symbol of Jesus the Saviour
The blue cup - symbol of Jesus the Healer
The yellow dove - symbol of Jesus the Baptiser in the Holy Spirit
The purple crown - symbol of Jesus the Coming King
OPENING: This morning we are going to consider Jesus, the Baptiser in the Holy Spirit.
• Personal testimony of the difference the Holy Spirit Baptism made in my life. Before I was filled with the Holy Spirit, I was a ‘secret service’ Christian, and was ashamed of the Gospel. I wouldn’t tell anyone I was a Christian. But after I received the Baptism of the Holy Spirit, I received a new power and boldness to witness for Jesus – I would preach to a dog if it would stand still long enough! (Acts 1:8 (quickview) ).
“John answered, saying to all, "I indeed baptize you with water; but One mightier than I is coming, whose sandal strap I am not worthy to loose. He (Jesus) will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and fire.” (Luke 3:16 (quickview) ).
I. THE NATURE OF THE HOLY SPIRIT:
Before we consider the Holy Spirit Baptism, let’s look at the nature of the Holy Spirit.
(1) He is a Person – the third member of the Trinity. (Matt. 28:19). He is not a ’bird’ (dove), He is not a force/power, He is not a ’ghost’ (as the old King James Version of the Bible calls Him).
(4) He makes us more like Jesus (fruit of the Spirit) (Gal. 5:22-23)
• Consider the most shocking statement Jesus ever made:
- How could it be better if Jesus went away?
- When Jesus walked the Earth, He was one man, in one place, at one time. Now, all believers everywhere have Holy Spirit power upon them!
THREE THINGS WE LEARN ABOUT THE HOLY SPIRIT:
“And I will pray the Father, and He shall give you another Comforter, that He may abide with you for ever; the Spirit of truth, whom the world cannot receive, because it neither sees Him nor knows Him; but you know Him, for He dwells with you and will be in you.” (John 14:16-17 (quickview) ).
1. The Holy Spirit WITH US
- convicts us of sin, draws us to Jesus & salvation
2. The Holy Spirit WITHIN US
- when we are saved/born again - new creation
3. The Holy Spirit UPON US
- empowers us for ministry (baptism of the Holy Spirit)