Summary: We believe that the second coming of Christ is personal and imminent and the certainty of His coming should motivate us to watch and be ready.
GOD ENCOUNTERS: THE FOURSQUARE GOSPEL #4: JESUS THE SOON COMING KING:
INTRO TO TOPIC: In this series we are looking at the Foursquare Gospel of Jesus:
• Jesus the Saviour, Healer, Baptiser in the Holy Spirit, Soon Coming King.
• Discuss the interest everywhere with people wanting to learn about the end times. “88 Reasons Jesus Will Return in 1988”, 2012 End of the World; 2015 Four Blood Moons.
THE BIG IDEA: We believe that the second coming of Christ is personal and imminent and the certainty of His coming should motivate us to watch and be ready.
I. THE KINGDOM OF GOD IN ACTS:
“In my former book, Theophilus, I wrote about all that Jesus began to do and to teach until the day he was taken up to heaven, after giving instructions through the Holy Spirit to the apostles he had chosen. After his suffering, he showed himself to these men and gave many convincing proofs that he was alive. He appeared to them over a period of forty days and spoke about the kingdom of God.” (Acts 1:1-3, NKJV).
• The Kingdom of God is now – Jesus is the King, but He’s coming back – soon!
II. JESUS DESCRIBES THE END TIMES: (Matthew 24:3-14).
• SPIRITUAL DECEPTION: many false religions and teachings: Four Blood Moons etc!
“Now as He sat on the Mount of Olives, the disciples came to Him privately, saying, "Tell us, when will these things be? And what will be the sign of Your coming, and of the end of the age?" And Jesus answered and said to them: "Take heed that no one deceives you. For many will come in My name, saying, 'I am the Christ,' and will deceive many.” (v.3-5).
• POLITICAL UNREST: nations are races/people groups and kingdoms are countries.
“And you will hear of wars and rumors of wars. See that you are not troubled; for all these things must come to pass, but the end is not yet. For nation will rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom.” (v.6-7).
• NATURAL DISASTERS: famines, earthquakes, tsunamis – happening every day.
“And there will be famines, pestilences, and earthquakes in various places. All these are the beginning of sorrows.” (v.7b-8).
• RELIGIOUS PERSECUTION: millions of Christians = persecuted in the world today.
“Then they will deliver you up to tribulation and kill you, and you will be hated by all nations for My name's sake.” (v.9).
• RELATIONSHIP BREAKDOWNS: this is definitely increasing today!
“And then many will be offended, will betray one another, and will hate one another. Then many false prophets will rise up and deceive many. And because lawlessness will abound, the love of many will grow cold. But he who endures to the end shall be saved.” (v.10-13).
• Note: all of these things: spiritual deception, political unrest, natural disasters, religious persecution and relationships breakdowns have been happening all throughout history.
• THE KINGDOM PREACHED INTO THE WORLD = the final sign
“And this gospel of the kingdom will be preached in all the world as a witness to all the nations, and then the end will come.” (Matthew 24:14).
• Why hasn’t Jesus come back yet? He wants as many people to be saved as possible!
• “The Lord is not slack concerning His promise, as some count slackness, but is longsuffering toward us, not willing that any should perish but that all should come to repentance.” (2 Peter 3:9).
III. THE TIMING OF THE SECOND COMING:
“Then the sign of the Son of Man will appear in heaven, and then all the tribes of the earth will mourn, and they will see the Son of Man coming on the clouds of heaven with power and great glory. And He will send His angels with a great sound of a trumpet, and they will gather together His elect from the four winds, from one end of heaven to the other.” (Matthew 24:30-31).
• There is much debate about the timing of the second coming and the rapture, and especially two topics called the ‘seven year tribulation’ and the ‘millennium’.
• In this passage, we see the second coming of Jesus connected to the rapture.
“36 "But of that day and hour no one knows, not even the angels of heaven, but My Father only. 37 But as the days of Noah were, so also will the coming of the Son of Man be. 38 For as in the days before the flood, they were eating and drinking, marrying and giving in marriage, until the day that Noah entered the ark, 39 and did not know until the flood came and took them all away, so also will the coming of the Son of Man be. 40 Then two men will be in the field: one will be taken and the other left. 41 Two women will be grinding at the mill: one will be taken and the other left. 42 Watch therefore, for you do not know what hour your Lord is coming. 43 But know this, that if the master of the house had known what hour the thief would come, he would have watched and not allowed his house to be broken into. 44 Therefore you also be ready, for the Son of Man is coming at an hour you do not expect.” (Matthew 24:36-44).