Summary: We believe that the second coming of Christ is personal and imminent and the certainty of His coming should motivate us to watch and be ready.
GOD ENCOUNTERS: THE FOURSQUARE GOSPEL #4: JESUS THE SOON COMING KING:
INTRO TO TOPIC: In this series we are looking at the Foursquare Gospel of Jesus:
• Jesus the Saviour, Healer, Baptiser in the Holy Spirit, Soon Coming King.
• Discuss the interest everywhere with people wanting to learn about the end times. “88 Reasons Jesus Will Return in 1988”, 2012 End of the World; 2015 Four Blood Moons.
THE BIG IDEA: We believe that the second coming of Christ is personal and imminent and the certainty of His coming should motivate us to watch and be ready.
I. THE KINGDOM OF GOD IN ACTS:
“In my former book, Theophilus, I wrote about all that Jesus began to do and to teach until the day he was taken up to heaven, after giving instructions through the Holy Spirit to the apostles he had chosen. After his suffering, he showed himself to these men and gave many convincing proofs that he was alive. He appeared to them over a period of forty days and spoke about the kingdom of God.” (Acts 1:1-3, NKJV).
• The Kingdom of God is now – Jesus is the King, but He’s coming back – soon!
II. JESUS DESCRIBES THE END TIMES: (Matthew 24:3-14).
• SPIRITUAL DECEPTION: many false religions and teachings: Four Blood Moons etc!
“Now as He sat on the Mount of Olives, the disciples came to Him privately, saying, "Tell us, when will these things be? And what will be the sign of Your coming, and of the end of the age?" And Jesus answered and said to them: "Take heed that no one deceives you. For many will come in My name, saying, 'I am the Christ,' and will deceive many.” (v.3-5).
• POLITICAL UNREST: nations are races/people groups and kingdoms are countries.
“And you will hear of wars and rumors of wars. See that you are not troubled; for all these things must come to pass, but the end is not yet. For nation will rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom.” (v.6-7).
• NATURAL DISASTERS: famines, earthquakes, tsunamis – happening every day.
“And there will be famines, pestilences, and earthquakes in various places. All these are the beginning of sorrows.” (v.7b-8).
• RELIGIOUS PERSECUTION: millions of Christians = persecuted in the world today.
“Then they will deliver you up to tribulation and kill you, and you will be hated by all nations for My name's sake.” (v.9).
• RELATIONSHIP BREAKDOWNS: this is definitely increasing today!
“And then many will be offended, will betray one another, and will hate one another. Then many false prophets will rise up and deceive many. And because lawlessness will abound, the love of many will grow cold. But he who endures to the end shall be saved.” (v.10-13).
• Note: all of these things: spiritual deception, political unrest, natural disasters, religious persecution and relationships breakdowns have been happening all throughout history.
• THE KINGDOM PREACHED INTO THE WORLD = the final sign
“And this gospel of the kingdom will be preached in all the world as a witness to all the nations, and then the end will come.” (Matthew 24:14).