Summary: A Biblical record of God calling, the purpose of His calling, and two remarkable aspects of His calling.
GOD IS CALLING TO YOU
A. HUMOR: CALLING 911
1. Marie got deathly ill and Boudreaux called 911. The 911 operator told Boudreaux that they would send someone out right away.
2. "Where do you live at?" asked the operator.
Boudreaux replied, "At de end of Eucalyptus Drive."
"Can you spell that for me?" the operator asked.
3. There was a long pause and finally Boudreaux said, "How '......bout if I drag her over to Oak Street and you pick her up over der?"
B. SERMON STARTER
1. Everybody, please stand.
2. If you have ever ignored a ringing phone because you knew who it was, sit down.
3. If you have ever picked up the phone and said something stupid because you thought you knew who it was, sit down.
4. If you've ever tried to imitate a bird call, sit down.
5. If you've ever lost your religion over the call of an umpire or referee, sit down.
6. If you've ever fallen or dropped something trying to get to a ringing phone, sit down.
7. If you've ever stayed home from someplace you really wanted to go because you were expecting an important call, sit down.
8. If you've ever sat by the phone waiting for someone to call, sit down.
9. I took you through that just as a reminder of the different kinds of calls that we hear, and just how important a call can be. [Anne Robertson]
10. We've all experienced one sort of call or another, and tonight we’re going to consider that God is calling to us and look at the reasons why.
“The boy Samuel ministered before the LORD under Eli. In those days the word of the LORD was rare; there were not many visions. 2 One night Eli, whose eyes were becoming so weak that he could barely see, was lying down in his usual place. 3 The lamp of God had not yet gone out, and Samuel was lying down in the temple of the LORD,
where the ark of God was. 4 Then the LORD called Samuel. Samuel answered, “Here I am.” 5 And he ran to Eli and said, “Here I am; you called me.” But Eli said, “I did not call; go back and lie down.” So he went and lay down. 6 Again the LORD called, “Samuel!” And Samuel got up and went to Eli and said, “Here I am; you called me.”
“My son,” Eli said, “I did not call; go back and lie down.” 7 Now Samuel did not yet know the LORD: The word of the LORD had not yet been revealed to him. 8 The LORD called Samuel a third time, and Samuel got up and went to Eli and said, “Here I am; you called me.” Then Eli realized that the LORD was calling the boy. 9 So Eli told Samuel, “Go and lie down, and if he calls you, say, ‘Speak, LORD, for your servant is listening.’” So Samuel went and lay down in his place. 10 The LORD came and stood there, calling as at the other times, “Samuel! Samuel!” Then Samuel said, “Speak, for your servant is listening.” 1 Sam. 3:1-10.
1. The words “Calling as at other times” means that God had been calling Samuel for some time but Samuel hadn’t been hearing Him. This is true of you and I as well.
2. So tonight we’re going to look at the Biblical record of God calling, the purpose of His calling, and two remarkable aspects of His calling.
3. The title of this message is, “God is Calling to You!”
I. BIBLICAL RECORD OF GOD CALLING
A.NUMEROUS INSTANCES OF HIS CALLING
1. Samuel, as we’ve read.
2. Adam & Eve; “And they heard the voice of the Lord God walking in the garden in the cool of the day: and Adam and his wife hid themselves from the presence of the Lord God amongst the trees of the garden. And the Lord God called unto Adam, and said unto him, “Where art You?”Gen. 3:8-9.
3. Moses, “God called to him from within the bush, ‘Moses! Moses!’” And Moses said, “Here I am.” Ex. 3:4
4. All Peoples; “To you, O people, I call out; I raise my voice to all mankind.” Prov. 8:4.
5. UNIVERSIALITY OF HIS CALLING
a. “All the Earth,” “Turn to me and be saved, all you ends of the earth; for I am God, and there is no other.” Isa. 45:22.
b. Everyone, “Come, all you who are thirsty, come to the waters…” Isa. 55:1.
c. “As many as you find,” “The kingdom of heaven is like a king who prepared a wedding banquet for his son. He sent his servants….‘go to the street corners and invite to the banquet anyone you find.’” Matt. 22:2-3, 9.