Summary: A sermon about God providing manna and quail in the desert--and all our needs according to his faithfulness and our trust in Him.
• In Exodus 15, God reveals Himself as a healer. In Exodus 16, God reveals Himself as a provider.
• Last week we talked about being tested. We all hate tests in school and in life. They are hard and often reveal things we don’t want to see.
• We have to get our heads around what’s going on here to get this. The Israelites were slaves, displaced people, out of their land for 400 years. 200 years as slaves.
• God is trying to free them, not just physically, but emotionally and spiritually.
• God miraculously takes them out of Egypt and then through the Red Sea.
• Now He is trying to build them. Disciple them into their destiny.
• Together - never just you and me Lord. Always with others.
• What influences me into my destiny isn’t just being with Him, but being with you and others.
• The manna miracle - food daily, except Sabbath.
• He was recalibrating them, resetting their thinking.
• That is why there are so many details and measurements in this story.
• He is testing them. Tests stretch us and reveal us.
• They are often specific and concise. These are.
Exodus 16:4-5, “Then the Lord said to Moses, ‘Behold, I will rain bread from heaven for you; and the people shall go out and gather a day’s portion every day, that I may test them, whether or not they will walk in my instruction. 5’On the sixth day, when they prepare what they bring in, it will be twice as much as they gather daily.”
I. TESTED FOR THE BASICS
• What is God testing for? Fear vs. Faith
• This is foundational, basic.
• Do you function in fear or faith?
• That was the beginning point of touching and changing these people.
• Will God take care of me?
• Is He in my business?
• How we measure things in life reveals how we feel about them and what we value.
• Vs. 13 - “What is it” = manna, Hebrew
• Vs. 14-19 - What it was, was God’s provision for them. Bread in morning and meat in the evening.
• Gather up an omer. What is that? Vs. 36 tells you! 3.5 liters
II. FLUNKING THE TEST
• Vs. 19-21 - “They did not listen.”
• This would be a good message for Mother’s Day. “They did not listen.”
• Every mother and father has given direction in an attempt to help their kids and found what?
• They did not listen!
• Easy to do isn’t it?
• We are not necessarily hard headed and hard hearted, “I’m gonna do whatever I want.”
• More often it is, “I don’t think it will work.”
• It is like that with provision. “I need more.”
• Tomorrow may not have enough.
• What does it do? Breeds worms - rots us.
• We do this with sex and it rots us. I don’t want it on God’s terms I know better.
• We do it with money. I can handle it my way and it rots us.
• They were used to being whipped, driven and now God is saying...