Summary: There are some things in life we should fear.
PSALM 34:7-11 “GOD IS TO BE FEARED”
A) All through the Bible we are taught to fear God! * Listen to these phrases in the KJV Bible ...
* “Fear God” is found 10 times ... “Fear of God” is found 8 times ...
* “Fear of the Lord” is found 30 times ... “Fear the Lord” is found 32 times ...
* “Fear thy God” is found 5 times ... and “Fear Him” is found 23 times. (Total – 108 times)
B) Now let me give you a few verses of Scripture to remind you that God is to be feared!
* Prov. 1:7 “The fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and
* Prov. 8:13 “The fear of the LORD is to hate evil: pride, and arrogancy, and the evil way, and the
froward mouth, do I hate.”
* Ecc. 12:13 “Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep his .......”
* Heb. 10:31 “It is a fearful thing to fall into the hands of the living God.”
* The reason for spiritual decline ... Rom. 3:18 “There is no fear of God before their eyes.”
C) Let us look at some things in this message that we should fear .......
(1) WE SHOULD FEAR BEING OUT OF THE WILL OF GOD!
A) There is a perfect will of God, and we are miserable out of that will!
* I know first hand because I have been out of God’s will.
* But we must also remember that God will chastise us to bring us back into His will!
* Example: Jonah ... David ... My coming back to the Lord Mother’s Day, 1994 .......
(2) WE SHOULD FEAR UNCONFESSED SIN!
* Prov. 28:13 “He that covereth his sins shall not prosper: but whoso confesseth and forsaketh
them shall have mercy.”
* People need to know that the church is serious about holy living, starting from the pulpit to the
pew! * Every member needs to understand that God hates sin!
A) Think of the examples in the Bible that reminds us how much God hates sin!
* He put Adam and Eve out of the Garden of Eden because He hates sin.
* He destroyed the earth in the flood as a judgment against sin.
* He allowed His chosen people to wander in the wilderness until an entire generation died
because of their sin. * God even put His Son to death on the cross to pay the penalty for sin.
B) We like to rank sins according to human standards! * “What do you mean Preacher?”
* For instance ... Murder is much worse than gossiping! * Well, murder may be worse in terms
of human consequences, but not in terms of God’s attitude ... To Him, sin is sin!
* If God takes sin so seriously, the church had better get serious about it too!
* If there’s any place where the church can demonstrate to the world that God’s standards are
different, it’s our attitude toward and the treatment of sin!
C) The world thinks sin is funny ... Prov. 14:9 “Fools make a mock at sin:”
* But we know that sin is fatal ... Rom. 6:23 “For the wages of sin is death;”
* Remember, no matter who we are, sin separates us from God ... Isa. 59:1-2 “Behold, the
LORD’s hand is not shortened, that it cannot save; neither his ear heavy, that it cannot hear: But
your iniquities have separated between you and your God, and your sins have hid his face from