Summary: What is the main reason for Jesus becoming a human being?
Let us continue to worship our God by listening to His Word given about 2000 years ago in a Letter to Hebrews who became Believers of Jesus Christ. Please open your Bibles to Hebrews Chapter 2…..
We noted last week from the first part of Hebrews 2 that every Christian must stand firm with the Gospel of Salvation with what we’ve heard and experienced with Jesus Christ! How did we do last week in reminding ourselves who we are in Christ and being ready to tell others about salvation? I will ask this question again during our Communion time. Read along with me now Hebrews 2:9-18…..
v9: We can note at least 5 things about Jesus Christ:
- became a human being (lower than angels for a while) – more on this in v12-18!
- suffered death (Jesus suffered and felt the most physical pains to the death!)
- His death was meant for every person whoever lived on earth
- Christ’s death was a gift from God to every human being (by grace of God – undeserved favor to people)!
- Christ is now crowned with glory and honor because of His sacrifice
v10: people are brought to glory only by the perfect sufferings of Christ!
v11: because Jesus Christ is holy and all who believe in Him are made holy, all are in God’s Family!
v12-18: God Jesus Christ became a human being so that:
- He alone can present and lead Believers to God
- He can praise God directly for all humans who believe
- only another human being, not an angel, can be freed from death and the devil by Jesus Christ dying but rising from the dead! (btw, as an added message here, no fallen angel can be saved; God judged all angels forever when He judged Lucifer! God can make a final judgment; this is why we can read in Hebrews 9:27 “Just as people are destined to die once, and after that to face judgment,…” Only during this life on earth can one be saved; there is no purgatory! There are no second chances after death; once a person dies, including you and me, we all face God’s eternal judgment!
- be a merciful and faithful high priest for people to God (an intercessor)
- atone (cover up) for people’s sins
- because Jesus was tempted to sin but did not sin, He alone can help people with temptations! Jesus went through everything a person will ever go through including death and facing what happens after death; Jesus can relate to any situation a person will ever go through; He alone can be a true priest (intercessor) for people!
We will celebrate Jesus Christ in a moment with Communion. Let us be reminded of the warning in 1 Corinthians 11; We will be sinning against God if we take communion in an unworthy manner!
What specifically are some ways a person can do communion in an unworthy manner??
Communion is remembering and truly believing in who Jesus Christ is and what He did on the Cross!
And so before celebrating with Communion, let us all quietly go through the truths about Jesus Christ from Hebrews 2:9-18, truly believe in Jesus Christ, and give thanks to God………. then Celebrate the Family of God!!
Are you certain that you are in the family of God and that Jesus will welcome you in heaven? why are you so sure?