Summary: This sermon shows us by analyzing certain events in the life of David just how much GOD loves those whom others deem as unworthy!
“GOD Loves Leftovers!!!”
1. And the Lord said unto Samuel, How long wilt thou mourn for Saul, seeing I have rejected him from reigning over Israel? fill thine horn with oil, and go, I will send thee to Jesse the Bethlehemite: for I have provided me a king among his sons.
2. And Samuel said, How can I go? if Saul hear it, he will kill me. And the Lord said, Take an heifer with thee, and say, I am come to sacrifice to the Lord.
3. And call Jesse to the sacrifice, and I will shew thee what thou shalt do: and thou shalt anoint unto me him whom I name unto thee.
4. And Samuel did that which the Lord spake, and came to Bethlehem. And the elders of the town trembled at his coming, and said, Comest thou peaceably?
5. And he said, Peaceably: I am come to sacrifice unto the Lord: sanctify yourselves, and come with me to the sacrifice. And he sanctified Jesse and his sons, and called them to the sacrifice.
6. And it came to pass, when they were come, that he looked on Eliab, and said, Surely the Lord’s anointed is before him.
7. But the Lord said unto Samuel, Look not on his countenance, or on the height of his stature; because I have refused him: for the Lord seeth not as man seeth; for man looketh on the outward appearance, but the Lord looketh on the heart.
8. Then Jesse called Abinadab, and made him pass before Samuel. And he said, Neither hath the Lord chosen this.
9. Then Jesse made Shammah to pass by. And he said, Neither hath the Lord chosen this.
10. Again, Jesse made seven of his sons to pass before Samuel. And Samuel said unto Jesse, The Lord hath not chosen these.
11. And Samuel said unto Jesse, Are here all thy children? And he said, There remaineth yet the youngest, and, behold, he keepeth the sheep. And Samuel said unto Jesse, Send and fetch him: for we will not sit down till he come hither.
12. And he sent, and brought him in. Now he was ruddy, and withal of a beautiful countenance, and goodly to look to. And the Lord said, Arise, anoint him: for this is he.
13. Then Samuel took the horn of oil, and anointed him in the midst of his brethren: and the Spirit of the Lord came upon David from that day forward.
Main Entry: 1left•over
1 : something that remains unused or unconsumed; especially : leftover food served at a later meal -- usually used in plural
Main Entry: 2left•over
: not consumed or used
Questions to ponder upon!
(v. 1) Why are we wasting so much time yearning for what it is that GOD has said that we can not have?
(v. 5) Where was David at the time of the sanctification?
(v. 7) When will we begin to see more through the Eyes of GOD rather than wanting GOD to see everything as we see it?
Sanctification (involved the physical washing of the body and clothes)
(Adam Clarke’s Commentary)
Verse 5. Sanctify yourselves] Change your clothes, and wash your bodies in pure water, and prepare your minds by meditation, reflection, and prayer; that, being in the spirit of sacrifice, ye may offer acceptably to the Lord.
David (in this text)
1. Had not been sanctified!
2. Had not originally been called to the sacrifice!
3. Was either unintentionally overlooked or purposely forgotten in the presenting of the sons unto Samuel!
4. He was tending to the business that his father had assigned for him to do and was not aware (as the other seven were) of anything that was going on!
5. He was the youngest son which, according to the law, was not allowed to legally receive anything before his seven elder brothers had a chance to receive it first!
6. Had been passed over and forgotten by others but not by GOD!
7. Was not a brand choice of his own father! In fact, Jesse literally tried in a cunning way to discourage Samuel from wanting to see him by telling him that David “keepeth the sheep”!
8. Samuel anointed him in the presence of his father and brothers whom had previously been considered for the same anointing! (Psalms 23:5)
Some points to consider, remember, and live by:
1. GOD sees me when no one else does!
2. GOD has a blessing with my name on it no matter where I am!
3. GOD will anoint me even when I seem to be “dirty” to others!
4. GOD will elevate me in the midst of those that left me out & forgot about me!
5. What GOD has for me---it is for me!!!
“Though thy beginning was small, yet thy latter end should greatly increase.”
“GOD Loves Leftovers!!!”