Summary: When God promises, He delivers. EVERY TIME!
1. A PROMISE. A COMMITMENT. A COVENANT.
a. Webster’s says a promise is, “a declaration that one will do or refrain from doing something specified.” OR
b. “A legally binding declaration that gives the person to whom it is made a right to expect or to claim the performance of a specified act.” OR “a reason to expect something”
GREEK WORD means ‘to announce. It’s a legal term that declares a summons or promise to do or give something.’ It’s used only of the promises of God except in one place in the NT.
THAT’S IMPORTANT… 50+ times this word is used to point out the powerful, wonderful, and reliable PROMISES OF GOD to man.
• THE EMPHASIS in the Bible is not on us as humans KEEPING PROMISES but rather God’s ability to GIVE HIS PROMISES.
NOTE: Because really, a promise is only as good as the one giving it.
• We with our mouths can promise anything & everything but really not have the ability to follow through.
• I will do this. For sure, I can do that. But not be able to do it.
• But God, when He promises… He delivers. EVERY TIME!
• Why? Well, because He’s God.
Matthew 19:26 (NKJV) 26 But Jesus looked at them and said to them, “With men this is impossible, but with God all things are possible.”
Genesis 18:14 (NKJV) 14 Is anything too hard for the Lord? At the appointed time I will return to you, according to the time of life, and Sarah shall have a son.”
Abraham, without the Bible… without the Scriptures, without a synagogue or church understood God… Jump down to 4:20-21
• MY question has always been, but how? How is it that Abraham could believe in the promises of God this way!?
• I’m always faced with my unbelief? My wavering, wondering.
• Well, faith is built up by hearing the truth.
Romans 10:17 (NKJV) 17 So then faith comes by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.
SO what do we know & learn about God? You can jot them down.
#1 – HE is OMNIPOTENT! Yes, He’s ALL POWERFUL.
Jeremiah 32:17 (NKJV) 17 ‘Ah, Lord God! Behold, U have made the heavens & the earth by Your great power and outstretched arm. There is nothing too hard for You.
• There is never at any time a loss of that power.
• He’s always powerful with all the power that there is to have!
#2 – HE is OMNISCIENT. Yes, He’s also ALL KNOWING.
Psalm 147:5 (NKJV) 5 Great is our Lord, and mighty in power; His understanding is infinite.
• There isn’t one thing that God doesn’t know. He learns nothing!
• Nothing is new to Him. He’s surprised by nothing.
Psalm 139:1-4 (NKJV) 1 For the Chief Musician. A Psalm of David. O Lord, You have searched me and known me. You know my sitting down and my rising up; You understand my thought afar off. You comprehend my path and my lying down, And are acquainted with all my ways. For there is not a word on my tongue, But behold, O Lord, You know it altogether.
#3 – HE IS OMNIPRESENT. Yes, God is everywhere all at once!
Proverbs 15:3 (NKJV) 3 The eyes of the Lord are in every place, Keeping watch on the evil and the good.
• God, He Himself fills the heavens and the earth.
• There is a single place where you won’t find God!
Jeremiah 23:23-24 (NKJV) “Am I a God near at hand,” says the Lord, “And not a God afar off? 24 Can anyone hide himself in secret places, So I shall not see him?” says the Lord; “Do I not fill heaven and earth?” says the Lord.
WOW… all powerful? All knowing? Everywhere at once? YES.
• That’s our awesome & powerful God.
• But what about His character? He sounds big, very big.
• But is He good or bad? Loving or hating?
#4 – GOD IS LOVE.
1 John 4:8 (NKJV) 8 He who does not love does not know God, for God is love.
• He is love. Not sometimes, but all the time.
• He doesn’t just love you when you are lovable but all the time.
• There isn’t a time when God is not love.
#5 – GOD IS HOLY.
1 Peter 1:16 (NKJV) 16 because it is written, “Be holy, for I am holy.”
Leviticus 11:44 (NKJV) 44 For I am the Lord your God. You shall therefore consecrate yourselves, and you shall be holy; for I am holy. Neither shall you defile yourselves with any creeping thing that creeps on the earth.
• Holiness is some outward code of conduct, it’s God Himself.
• When I want to be holy, I’m drawing closer and closer to God!