Summary: In whatever circumstance we should find ourselves in, God will supply all our needs.
TITLE: God Shall Supply 080105b
TEXT: Philippians 4:11-19 11I am not saying this because I am in need, for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. 12I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. 13I can do everything through him who gives me strength. 14Yet it was good of you to share in my troubles. 15Moreover, as you Philippians know, in the early days of your acquaintance with the gospel, when I set out from Macedonia, not one church shared with me in the matter of giving and receiving, except you only; 16for even when I was in Thessalonica, you sent me aid again and again when I was in need. 17Not that I am looking for a gift, but I am looking for what may be credited to your account. 18I have received full payment and even more; I am amply supplied, now that I have received from Epaphroditus the gifts you sent. They are a fragrant offering, an acceptable sacrifice, pleasing to God. 19And my God will meet all your needs according to his glorious riches in Christ Jesus.
I. GOD WILL PROVIDE
A. God told Abraham Genesis 22:2 “Take your son, your only
son, Isaac, whom you love, and go to the region of Moriah. Sacrifice him there as a burnt offering on one of the mountains I will tell you about.”
1. This was not a journey Abraham wanted to take. It was not
the news he wanted to hear. It was a supreme test of His faith and his loyalty to God.
2. Abraham had a decision to make. Would he follow God’s
leading even when the path appeared wrought with gloom, death and great sorrow and loss.
3. You probably already know the end of the story. Just as
Abraham was raising the knife to slay his son, an angel called out to him, (Genesis 2:11ff) Abraham! Abraham!... Do not lay a hand on the boy,” he said. “Do not do anything to him. Now I know that you fear God, because you have not withheld from me your son, your only son.”
4. And immediately Abraham spotted a ram caught in the
thicket to offer as a sacrifice instead.
5. It seems like a cruel joke. Why would God take Abraham
through such a trial? Why would he force him to bear the painful anticipation for three days?
6. Let me tell you why. God wanted to teach Abraham
something about himself—and ultimately to teach us through his painful experience—God will provide what we need.
7. Abraham learned a powerful lesson. He named the place
Jehovahjireh—The LORD will provide.
8. The message today is the Gospel of Sufficiency. I want you
help you learn the lesson that Abraham learned that fearful day—God will provide whatever it is you need for your journey through this life.
9. (Read Text)
II. PRECSIOUS PROMISES
A. Praise be to God for inspiring promise passages such as these-
Lines that conceive confidence, lines that build up belief and make firm out faith.
1. I do not know how we would fare in life without them.
Especially in those seasons of sorrow and woe, those periods of pain and perplexity. Those dark dismal days of despair and stress.
2. When your sun goes down at high noon and you moon
cannot be located in the night sky, you need the assurance that God is indeed Jehovahjireh.
3. Yes when you wagon breaks down and your load is too
heavy for you to bear you need rest your wavering spirit on the unshakable promise of God.
B. Thank God for these promise passages:
1. Genesis 22:8 God will provide
2. Duet 31:6 Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or
terrified because of them, for the LORD your God goes with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you.”
3. Psalm 46:1 God is our refuge and strength, a very
present help in trouble.
4. Psalm 84:11 For the LORD God is a sun and shield: the
LORD will give grace and glory: no good thing will he withhold from them that walk uprightly.
5. Psalm 23:1 The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not want
6. Psalm 27:10 When my father and my mother forsake me,
then the LORD will take me up.
7. Lamentations 3:22ff his compassions fail not. 23They are
new every morning: great is thy faithfulness.
--On and on they Go...
8. Isaiah54:17 no weapon forged against you will prevail,
9. Romans 8:28 we know that all things work together for
good to them that love God,