Summary: Sanctity of Life Sunday sermon that gives God’s view on the issue of life in the midst of all the world views we are bombarded with.
Title: God is Pro-Life.
Bible Text: Jer. 1:5 and assorted others
Subject: What does God say about life?
Complement: God is for life in a big way!
Main Idea: If the God the Bible is our God then we must be pro-life!
Intro: On September 11, 2001 over 4,000 people were killed. They were future leaders of this nation, doctors who could have saved many, scientist who may have found a cure for cancer, evangelist who may have lead thousands to the Lord and they were loved. Yes on September 11, 2001, evil doers killed over 4000 people.
But the truth is that many people don’t realize that on September 12, 2001 another 4000 people and again on September 13 and 14 and 15. Every day over 4000 people are killed. These are unborn babies- 4000 each day, 28,000 each week, 112,000 each month and 1,460,000 each year.
On September 11, 2001 terrorist killed nearly 4000 people, and the outcry for justice was great, the cry of pain was heard through out our Nation. Swift and accurate justice was rendered. 4000 unborn babies are being killed everyday, but I see no weeping, no anger, and no outcry for justice. It seems like there is no one who cares.
Well, it is that time of year again when we as Christians stop our usual series of sermons and take a Sunday to totally devote to the cause of Life! Hopefully pastors who are pro-life will preach on this subject more than once a year as it comes up in their Biblical preaching. But today, we give full focus on what God’s Word has to say about life.
Perhaps you might ask, “Why is the church getting involved in this political topic? We need to realize that this is first and foremost a biblical issue and only secondly political. All we need do is look around us to see the great loss for the value of life in our society.
I. Human Life has little value in our society today.
A. The lack of value for life today is the result of godlessness.
1. For over a hundred years now our colleges and then our high schools have taught us that human beings are nothing more than highly organized, animated slime.
2. Our children are taught that they are cosmic accidents, nothing more than time + chance + matter.
3. Our society has rejected the belief that HUMANS HAVE INTRINSIC DIGNITY BECAUSE THEY ARE CREATED IN THE IMAGE OF GOD.
a) Indeed, there is no Creator.
b) There is no moral lawgiver in the universe.
4. And so today’s atrocities against human life are the natural outcome of a culture that teaches it’s children that humans have no sacred value because they are created by God – they become just one more animal among many.
5. What’s more, we are even less special than some animals because there are so many of us we are not "endangered".
B. Today humans are targeted for destruction.
1. The Endangered Species Act protects 3 amphibians, 56 birds, 7 clams, 2 crustaceans, 29 fish, 8 mammals, 21 reptiles, 2 snails and 42 plants - and their unborn offspring. But not an unborn human baby.
2. Goodyear Tire spent $35,000 to surgically attach fins on a pregnant loggerhead sea turtle which had suffered a shark attack. A spokesman for the company commented, "We’re doing this for motherhood."
3. A Florida man was arrested for stealing turtle eggs from the beach.
a) He defended himself by saying that the eggs were not yet "life."
b) No good, he was convicted and fined.
c) To the law, a turtle egg is alive, but not an unborn baby!
4. And here are some of the outrageous fines recently levied by our courts:
a) $4,000 for killing cats.
b) $1,360 and 60 days in jail for torturing and killing rabbits.
c) $10,000 for killing a tree!
d) But no fines for killing a baby - even a partially born youngster.
C. People Killing their children for supposed future gain is not new.
1. People even killed their children in the Old Testament of our Bibles.
a) In Lev. 18:21 God says to His people: “Do not give any of your children to be sacrificed to Molech, for you must not profane the name of your God. I am the Lord.”
b) In Deut. 12:31 – “You must not worship the Lord your God in their way, because in worshiping their gods, they do all kinds of detestable things the Lord hates. They even burn their sons and daughters in the fire as sacrifices to their gods.”
2. We see that God was without question against these people sacrificing their children to the many god’s of their day.
3. I find it so amazing that people are still doing the same thing today…sacrificing their children to the god’s of convenience, or financial success, or education.