Summary: David's Delemma a) Darkness b) Distress c) Desire d) Delight
Last week it was Joshua learning to trust
- The Hymn "Tis So Sweet To Trust In Jesus"
• By Louisa M. R. Stead.
Learn To Trust
- Now you are put to the test
Hymn "God Will Take Care Of You"
- Civilla Martin (1869-1948) wrote this hymn when she herself needed to learn the lesson of resting in God’s care.
- Her husband, Stillman Martin, was a well-known Baptist evangelist.
- One Sunday in 1904, Civilla became ill suddenly and was unable to accompany her husband to his preaching assignment some distance away.
- Pastor considered canceling his trip
- Their young son spoke these profound words
“Daddy, don’t you think that if God wants you to preach today, He will take care of Mommy while you’re away?”
- Returning that evening after seeing several people were saved
- Mr. Martin found his wife greatly improved
- And she was busily writing this these words, "God Will Take Care Of You"
- From the thinking of her son
- That same evening, Stillman Martin composed the music, to this song
Title of These Three Psalms
- Altaschith (al tash•kayth)
- They Introduce Ps 57-59, 75
- "Destroy Not"
- Or Let there be no slaughter
Michtam (Mĭkʹ tăm)
- Introducing Ps 56-60 , 16
- Signifies Most fine gold or a golden ornament
- Using these titles we could say that this title could be "The Most Precious Secret"
- This is not the first time David had to hid
- 1 Sa. 22:1 Cave of Adullam
- 1 Sa 24:1-3 Saul had 3,000 chosen men in the wilderness of Engedi
- David needed a cave to crawl into and hide from this storm of terror
- Feeling depressed & abandon
- The King is after him
- Note how the verses of Ps 57- 59 start
- Stressed Out – 57:1-4, 6; 58:2-4 etc.; 59:1-4 etc.
- David might have felt that God has left him
- Why is this happening
- Remember God has promised David a kingdom
- He cries out to the Lord
- These three Psalms have the Altashheth (Ăl•tăshʹ hĕth) "Destroy Not"
- Michtam (Mĭkʹ tăm) most fine gold or a golden ornament
- They are the beginning title
- These opening verses are not anything of "The Most Precious Secret"
- There is fear & crying out for help
- Anxiety is useless in matters under our own management.
- Anxiety will not furnish the opportunity of earning bread, or arm us with power — but the reverse.
- Each of these Psalms end with a focus & trust
- There is Praise
- Ps 57:7-11, 58:11, 59:16-17
Has A Good Work Begun In Me?
- Philippians 1:6 (AV) — 6 Being confident of this very thing, that he which hath begun a good work in you will perform it until the day of Jesus Christ:
- What is the evidence that Christ has begun a good work in you?
- What is the evidence that I am in love
- I think of that person all the time
- I want to be with that person
- I plan with that person
- I talk about & am with that person
Be Not Dismayed Whate'er Betide God Will Take Care Of You
- It shows how I trust Christ
- Evidence in my obedience to Christ