Summary: An acrostic on GOD WITH US; taken from John Gillmartin, Pastor’s Pastor, November 2001
(Mat 1:23 NRSV) "Look, the virgin shall conceive and bear a son, and they shall name him Emmanuel," which means, "God with us."
What did Isaiah think when he uttered these words hundreds of years before in Isaiah 7:14?
Of what should we think when we read this verse?
Thesis: This morning we are going to do an acrostic (a literary tool to help us remember) as we talk about Emmanuel, God with us.
1. (Eph 2:8 NIV) For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith--and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God--(Eph 2:9 NIV) not by works, so that no one can boast.
2. God knew that we could not earn our way, so he provided Jesus.
3. Grace is a gift that we do not deserve.
1. (Eph 5:2 NIV) Christ loved us and gave himself up for us as a fragrant offering and sacrifice to God.
2. Now we are to offer ourselves. (Rom 12:1 NIV) Therefore, I urge you, brothers, in view of God’s mercy, to offer your bodies as living sacrifices, holy and pleasing to God--this is your spiritual act of worship.
* (John 1:14 NIV) The Word became flesh and made his dwelling among us. We have seen his glory, the glory of the One and Only, who came from the Father, full of grace and truth.
1. It convicts us from the outside in. (Heb 4:12 NIV) For the word of God is living and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart.
2. It convicts from the inside out. (1 John 2:14 NIV) I write to you, young men, because you are strong, and the word of God lives in you, and you have overcome the evil one.
* (1 Pet 1:3 NIV) Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ! In his great mercy he has given us new birth into a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead,(1 Pet 1:4 NIV) and into an inheritance that can never perish, spoil or fade--kept in heaven for you.
1. The temple of God has changed addresses, from impersonal Jerusalem to the heart of man.
2. (1 Cor 3:16 NIV) Don’t you know that you yourselves are God’s temple and that God’s Spirit lives in you?
1. (Luke 4:33 NIV) In the synagogue there was a man possessed by a demon, an evil spirit. He cried out at the top of his voice,(Luke 4:34 NIV) "Ha! What do you want with us, Jesus of Nazareth? Have you come to destroy us? I know who you are--the Holy One of God!"
2. Came to make us holy. (1 Pet 1:14 NIV) As obedient children, do not conform to the evil desires you had when you lived in ignorance.(1 Pet 1:15 NIV) But just as he who called you is holy, so be holy in all you do;(1 Pet 1:16 NIV) for it is written: "Be holy, because I am holy."
1. Jesus came to help us with our unbelief. (Mark 9:20 NIV) So they brought him. When the spirit saw Jesus, it immediately threw the boy into a convulsion. He fell to the ground and rolled around, foaming at the mouth.(Mark 9:21 NIV) Jesus asked the boy’s father, "How long has he been like this?" "From childhood," he answered.(Mark 9:22 NIV) "It has often thrown him into fire or water to kill him. But if you can do anything, take pity on us and help us."(Mark 9:23 NIV) "’If you can’?" said Jesus. "Everything is possible for him who believes."(Mark 9:24 NIV) Immediately the boy’s father exclaimed, "I do believe; help me overcome my unbelief!"
2. We Gentiles are part because of the unbelief of the Jews. (Rom 11:19 NIV) You will say then, "Branches were broken off so that I could be grafted in."(Rom 11:20 NIV) Granted. But they were broken off because of unbelief, and you stand by faith. Do not be arrogant, but be afraid.(Rom 11:21 NIV) For if God did not spare the natural branches, he will not spare you either.
* (Luke 2:10 NIV) But the angel said to them, "Do not be afraid. I bring you good news of great joy that will be for all the people.(Luke 2:11 NIV) Today in the town of David a Savior has been born to you; he is Christ the Lord.(Luke 2:12 NIV) This will be a sign to you: You will find a baby wrapped in cloths and lying in a manger."