Summary: PROPOSITION: Because of Christ’s incomparable love, you must forsake spiritual adultery.
God’s Incomparable Love
PROPOSITION: Because of Christ’s incomparable love, you must forsake spiritual adultery.
How can I forsake spiritual adultery?
I. Choose to love God! 1:1-3
A. God’s revelation (1:2)
1. Gomer will commit physical adultery.
2. Israel continued to commit spiritual adultery.
B. Hosea’s decision (1:3)
1. Reject the one he was to marry.
2. Love the one he was to marry.
II. Choose to stop grieving God! 1:4-11
A. Hosea’s marriage with Gomer soon brings him pain (1:4)!
1. His children names indicate marriage difficulty.
2. His marriage covenant is violated (2:5).
B. Our marriage with Christ often brings Him pain!
III. Choose to respond to God biblically. 2:2-23
A. God’s love chastens us for our spiritual adultery.
1. God gives verbal warnings (2-5)
2. God can take away what our affection craves (6-8)
3. God can destroy our prosperity to turn us back to Him (9-12)
B. God’s love restores us from spiritual adultery.
1. He woo’s us with loving words (14-16).
2. He causes us to know Him better (17-20).
3. He shows us love in unexpected measure (21-23)