Summary: Aspects and response to the calling of God.
(Partially adapted from the Thompson Chain outlines)
A. Read text.
B. We were all someone else before we were Christians.
C. When we accepted Christ, we began to change.
D. God has promised to conform us to Christ’s image.
E. This is sometimes a slow process.
F. The fault is ours due to the flesh.
G. Today’s lesson is on how God really would like us to respond to Him.
I. ASPECTS OF THE CALLING
A. CALLED FROM SOMEWHERE -- Out of darkness - I Peter 2:9 (quickview)  - "But ye are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, an holy nation, a peculiar people; that ye should shew forth the praises of him who hath called you out of darkness into his marvellous light:"
B. CALLED TO SOMEWHERE OR SOMETHING.
1. To righteousness - Isaiah 42:6 (quickview)  - "I the LORD have called thee in righteousness, and will hold thine hand, and will keep thee, and give thee for a covenant of the people, for a light of the Gentiles; To open the blind eyes, to bring out the prisoners from the prison, and them that sit in darkness out of the prison house."
3. To glory - II Peter 1:3 (quickview)  - "According as his divine power hath given unto us all things that pertain unto life and godliness, through the knowledge of him that hath called us to glory and virtue:"
C. THERE HAS TO BE A REASON.
2. To be God’s people - Romans 9:25 (quickview)  - "As he saith also in Osee, I will call them my people, which were not my people; and her beloved, which was not beloved." (Gentile Christians)
II. THE CALL.
A. "Were fishers..." - old life.
B. "Follow me." - the call.
C. "I will make you fishers of men." - new life.
III. THE RESPONSE.
A. Read v. 18.
B. Two things the fishermen did.
1. They forsook their nets.
a. Meaning : they left behind whatever they had to.
2. They did so straightway (They wasted no time in doing so).
C. Matthew Levi’s response to Jesus’ call.
1. Matthew 9:9 (quickview)  - "And as Jesus passed forth from thence, he saw a man, named Matthew, sitting at the reciept of custom: and he saith unto him, Follow me. And he arose and followed him."
2. Luke 5:27-28 (quickview)  - "And after these things he went forth, and saw a publican, named Levi, sitting at the receipt of custom: and he said unto him, Follow me. And he left all, rose up, and followed him."
IV. OTHER EXAMPLES.