Summary: This is one of the greatest promises in the scriptures called the Abrahamic Covenant. God always expects a response when he speaks.
This is one of the greatest promises in the scriptures called the Abrahamic Covenant. We still see the effects of that promise today.
Abram means exalted father.
God changed his name to Abraham
Abraham means father of a multitude.
God always expects a response when he speaks.
I. God expects Obedience.
a. He required two things of Abraham
1. Leave your country and family.
2. Go to a land I will show you.
b. God requires the same two things of us.
1. He will call us to be separate. 2 Corinthians 6:14-17
A. Separate from the world
B. Separate from sin
C. And sometimes even family Matthew 10:37
q Why do you think that God would tell Abraham to leave his family?
Tells us why in Joshua 24:2
2. Abraham had to depend on God.
A. For direction.
B. For provision.
3. He will require us to depend on him
A. For Direction. Proverbs 3:5-6
B. For Provision. Matthew 6:25-34
c. God Gives Abraham seven promises
1. Make you a great nation (Israel)
2. I will Bless you
3. Make your name great
4. You will be a blessing
5. I will bless those that bless you
6. I will curse them that curse you
7. In you all the earth will be blessed
A. Through Abraham we have a savior.
B. We have a bible.
C. We have a gospel.
God always expects us to obey Him. Psalms 51:16-19