Summary: A call for the church to awake out of sleep and get busy for God.
ROM. 13:11-14 “GOD’S CLOCK IS ALARMING, IT’S TIME TO WAKE UP”
A) The message that Paul is saying is that our Lord’s return is nearer than when we believed!
* The coming of Jesus is sooner than we think … Jesus could come any second now!
* Paul says, “And that knowing the time …” * The believer is to know the time!
* The word “knowing” means “to make sure you know, do not dare miss knowing.”
B) The word “time” means “the critical period,” or “the special period of time!”
* What is that critical period of time … What is that period of human history that we must not
overlook? * “The day of our salvation” … The day which is nearer than when we first believed!
* The day which is at hand … The day when we meet the Lord Jesus face to face.
C) It’s time that we wake up to some things in life … We’ve been asleep long enough!
* So many Christians are slumbering and paying no attention to what’s going on in the world.
* Too many are not watching … Too many are not observing the signs of the times.
D) There are too many today with little commitment to Christ and serving Him!
* It’s time to be awaken … To be aroused and stirred … It’s time to get up and move and act now!
E) Look at the world situation … Look at the signs … Look at yourself …
* Look at your body and it’s condition … Look at life and it’s uncertainty … Look at the time …
* The day of our redemption is nearer than it’s ever been … Jesus is coming!!!!!!!
F) There is no doctrine in the Word of God that will cause believers to live holy and righteous
lives like the doctrine of the imminent return of Jesus Christ!
* 1 John 3:3 “And every man that hath this hope in him purifieth himself, even as he is pure.”
* 1 Cor. 15:34 “Awake to righteousness, and sin not; for some have not the knowledge of God: I
speak this to your shame.”
* 1 Thess. 5:5-6 “Ye are all the children of light, and the children of the day: we are not of the
night, nor of darkness. Therefore let us not sleep, as do others; but let us watch and be sober.”
G) Four things we must do to be effective Christians … They’re very important …….
(1) CAST OFF THE WORKS OF DARKNESS – V.12!
A) The works of darkness are the works which men do under the cover of darkness and want
to keep secret!
* They are sins which men know are unacceptable … Men know would cause hurt …….
* Men are ashamed of … Men fear the results of … And men know would do great damage.
* Isa. 29:15 “Woe unto them that seek deep to hide their counsel from the LORD, and their works
are in the dark, and they say, Who seeth us? and who knoweth us?”
B) The Bible makes it very clear that Christians are not supposed to be in darkness … Why?
* 1 Peter 2:9 “But ye are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, an holy nation, a peculiar
people; that ye should shew forth the praises of him who hath called you out of darkness into
his marvellous light:”
* Eph. 5:8 “For ye were sometimes darkness, but now are ye light in the Lord: walk as children
* Paul asked the question in 2 Cor. 6:14 “and what communion hath light with darkness?”