Summary: What God has done, is doing, and will do for America
TITLE: God's Dealings With America
TEXT: Psalm 33:1-12
INTRO: We must never forget what God has done for America, in the past and what He is doing for America in the present. Then we need to understand what God will do to America in the future.
I. WHAT GOD HAS DONE FOR AMERICA.
A. God Birthed America.
1. In Jamestown, Va...first community bldg was a church
2. Puritans first act at Plymouth Rock - kneel & praise God
3. Roger Williams (Bapt. Minister) est. Rhode Island
4. Lord Baltimore held church service in est Maryland
5. William Penn (Quaker) est. Penn. When he wrote gov’t policies for PA made sure “all treasurers, judges, and all elected officials professed faith in Christ.”
7. Twelve of the original 13 colonies incorporated the
entire 10 Commandments into their civil and criminal
# President John Adams stated, "The law given from Sinai was a civil and municipal code as well as a moral and religious code. These are laws essential to the existence of men in society and most of which have been enacted by every Nation which ever professed any code of laws. Vain indeed would be the search among the writings of secular history to find so broad, so complete and so solid a basis of morality as the Ten Commandments lay down."
# The American Bible Society was started by an act of Congress and John Adams, our second president, served as its first leader.
8.Our laws based on 10 commandments and Bible. And,
the Supreme Court bldg - built 1935 – carved on front
Moses and Ten Commandments.
9. President George Washington said, "It is impossible to
govern the world without God and the Bible. "
10. In 1782, the U.S. Congress voted in favor of a
resolution recommending and approving the Bible for
use in the public schools.
11. Patrick Henry, first governor of Virginia and a member of the Continental Congress, stated, "It cannot be emphasized too strongly or too often that this great nation was founded, not by religionists, but by Christians; not on religions, but on the Gospel of Jesus Christ."
12. Nation’s motto: “In God we trust” and Pledge of
Allegiance: “One nation under God”
B. God has Blessed America
1. British commander William Howe was moving 30,000 Veteran British soldiers to take NY. Gen. George Washington only had 18,000 inexperienced troops. British troops outflanked Washington. Washington lost 1,000 men and 2 top Generals. Washington’s troops discouraged. W/O any reason British halted their troops. Had they kept on pressing in they would have destroyed Washington and troops. Yet still they were trapped on Long Island. Only route of escape was treacherous East river. Weather very bad and seemed impossible to cross.
Washington called for a prayer meeting to ask for God’s guidance and help. Decided to attempt to cross river. Storming, then suddenly 11 pm wind died and rain stopped. River was as smooth as glass. Started crossing and gentle breeze came up behind them to push them along. Thick fog draped over them and hiding them from British troops. When fog lifted British commander Howe was shocked. Washington troops had escaped. Washington and men recognized God’s blessings on America.