Summary: God wants to give us an Extreme Makeover: becoming new on the inside. While we are all eligible, the book of James gives us four requirements we need to know about going into our makeover.
God’s EXtreme MAKEOVER:
His Place Sept 21, 2008
NOTE: I was the guest speaker this morning and this was my daughter’s first Sunday back from her YWAM adventure - she gave the morning greeting and testimony of how god was working n her life. It dovetailed nicely with the message topic.
Can there be anything better than to see your children grow in their faith?
3 JN 1:4 I have no greater joy than to hear that my children are walking in the truth.
• Same Heidi on the out side – becoming new on the inside…
• Process Bruce talking about in PDL – Become something… - Like Christ!
• If think about it, pretty EXtreme MAKEOVER – us – like Christ
How many have watched Extreme Makeover? – curious - what does it take to be contestant - what these people agree to.
Here’s what I found: they want you to expose everything about yourself…
• Citizenship, age, employment, criminal record, mental health, etc…
• You waive all your legal rights to your "likeness" - You have no say in how they might want to exploit you for their show.
Listen to this: You agree to undergo "without limitation" - any cosmetic or
plastic surgery - at the sole discretion of the Producer.
How about this: Must allow them to use "all or any part of my likeness, and
may alter or modify it regardless of whether or not I am recognizable."
If don’t agree to abide by their rules – you’re ineligible to participate.
While God doesn’t exactly have eligibility requirements like that, there are some things we have to be on board with if His work in us successful…
• Good news is nothing disqualifies participate – “whosever will may come..” - where difference end - If want God’s EM successful…
• We must waive our rights to our "likeness" as well - Christ likeness!
• We have agree undergo "without limitation" whatever God wants to do.
• And if our likeness is unrecognizable afterwards - then SUCCESS!!
As we get into James this morning we’re going to look at 4 things that we need to understand going in, for God’s Extreme Makeover - successful.
Because we can short-circuit the process if don’t cooperate w/His plan
OK? - So let’s look at 4 requirements from the book of James…
JAS 1:1 James, a servant of God and of the Lord Jesus Christ, To the twelve tribes scattered among the nations: Greetings. – entire sermon on 1st ver.
JAS 1:2 Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, 3 because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. 4 Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything.
• How many of you go straight to joy when you’re in a trial?
• Kind of wonder about people like that – tend more like chippie…
Anyone here own a parakeet? – cleaning is hassle – Chippies owner vacuuming feathers off floor – brilliant idea! – vacuum bottom of cage… don’t try this at home kids…
The phone rang, and she turned to pick it up… and "ssssopp!" No more Chippie! – problem solved! - The bird owner gasped, put down the phone, turned off the vacuum, and opened the bag. There was Chippie -- still alive, but stunned.
Poor thing covered in dust – so raced to faucet – held Chippie under the running water. – wet and shivering, she did what any compassionate bird owner would do . . . she reached for hair dryer and blasted Chippie with hot air. Poor Chippie.
A few days later, Chippie’s owner was asked how the bird was doing. "Well," she replied, "Chippie doesn’t sing much anymore -- he just sits and stares."
• Isn’t that how we respond to trials? – takes the song right out…
• How do you get to joy when going through trials? – Don’t focus on trial!
1. We must Focus on the end result.
• Isn’t that what they encourage them to do on the show?
• Sure hard but worth it - hang in there! - No joy in the trial - if focus is on the trial - Focus on the end result - what God is trying to mold in us. What is that exactly? -"…mature, complete, not lacking anything."
• God doesn’t want you lacking anything – not good for you!
HOS 4:6 …my people are destroyed from lack of knowledge.
ISA 5:13 …my people will go into exile for lack of understanding;
Is there destruction in your life? Feel as though you’re in exile?
• Then take joy in your trials - He’s bringing your "lack" to an end!