Summary: When we try to live without consulting God’s word, It’s a deliberate, voluntary ignorance. But this ignorance won’t stop us from suffering the consequences for being stupid. The wisdom we need is available.It’s about letting God’s word saturate our spirit.
There is a common desire inside everyone to want to succeed
• Because we measure our worth on the basis of how successful we are.
• How we measure that success is often based on a worldly standard rather than a godly standard.
• Success by the world’s standard often means luxury, wealth, and possessions, achievements, notoriety, and fame, beauty, brains and brawn.
• But the problem is if we measure our lives by the world’s standards
• We will have an inaccurate and incomplete view of whether or not we’re successful.
• God’s standard of measurement is nothing like the world’s standard.
If you have ever spent anytime in a book store you’ll know that there isn’t a shortage on books out there that claim they can make you successful.
• One of the books I have seen was by a man by the name of Ned Grossman,
• And it was called quite simply How to Succeed in Life.
• And as I looked through this book Ned claimed there were 6 steps
• 1. We become what we think about.
• 2. Decide exactly what you want.
• 3. Determine the price you have to pay.
• 4. Commit to pay the price.
• 5. Work hard, one day at a time.
• 6. Never give up.
After putting down Ned’s book I found another book on success nearby
• It had 3 formulas for success, similar to the first one.
• But What was really interesting is where I found these books:
• On the clearance table.
Today I want us to look at Joshua 1:6-9
• And what we see in these verses is God’s formula for success
• God’s principles for success is completely unlike the world’s formula.
• And the good news is that His formula works for every person, in every situation,
• It will work if you’re in school, It will work in our business,
• It will work in our families, And It will work in our church.
• The pathway to success can’t be traveled by anyone who does not practice God’s formula for success.
Jos 1:6 “Be strong and courageous, for you will lead my people to possess all the land I swore to give their ancestors. Jos 1:7 Be strong and very courageous. Obey all the laws Moses gave you. Do not turn away from them, and you will be successful in everything you do. Jos 1:8 Study this Book of the Law continually. Meditate on it day and night so you may be sure to obey all that is written in it. Only then will you succeed.
Jos 1:9 I command you—be strong and courageous! Do not be afraid or discouraged. For the LORD your God is with you wherever you go.”
There are 3 principles to God’s plan for success that we are going to look at today
Principle #1: BE STRONG AND COURAGEOUS
• Notice the number of times God brings this command before Joshua. (v. 6, 7, 9).
• Before we go any further we have to ask ourselves the question
• What is courage?
Courage has several synonyms:
• Bravery, Valor, Fearlessness, Heroism, Confidence, Nerve.