Summary: God's Gift to Wonderful For Words! (PowerPoint slides to accompany this talk are available on request - email: firstname.lastname@example.org)
Reading: 2 Corinthians chapter 9 verse 15
Ill: Which is best?
• Should the tree be real or artificial?
• Should tree lights twinkle or stay constant?
• Should the tree be topped with an angel or a star?
• Should you fling or hang tinsel?
• Cranberry sauce or horseradish with the turkey?
• Cream or custard on your Christmas pudding?
• Should you watch the Queens speech live or the highlights later on the news?
• Do you open gifts on Christmas morning or after Christmas dinner?
The tradition of gift-giving extends all the way back to the Wise-men;
• Who brought gifts to the Christ-child in the manger.
• We all know how they brought gifts of gold, frankincense, and myrrh.
• Well we all know that;
• But recently some children in a school play near London, got it slightly wrong!
• During the play,,
• Three six-year-old boys acted out the role of the wise men.
• As they presented their gifts at the nativity scene,
• Each boy stepped forward and stated what they were offering to Christ.
• The first held out his arms and said, “Gold.”
• The second boy knelt down and said, “Myrrh.”
• The last boy obviously nervous and struggling to remember his lines,
• Stepped forward and declared, “Franki sent this”
That little boy may have got his gift for Jesus wrong,
• But kids are great at letting us know what they want;
• Ask them what they want and they will not have to hesitiate before answering!
• Two young boys were spending the night at their grandparents.
• At bedtime, the two boys knelt beside their beds to say their prayers.
• The youngest one began praying at the top of his lungs,
• "I PRAY FOR A NEW BICYCLE. I PRAY FOR A NEW NINTENDO. I PRAY FOR A VCR"
• His older brother leaned over and nudged the younger brother and said,
• "Why are you shouting your prayers? God isn't deaf."
• To which the little brother replied,
• "No, but Gramma is!"
A boy who was making sure he got his perfect present:
• Sometimes we get presents that are actually better than we first thought,
• Like the boy who was bought a musical guitar.
• When his uncle gave him the guitar, he was not too impressed,
• Yet the next time he saw him after the Xmas holidays he was full of enthusiasm.
“Thanks for the electric guitar you gave me for Christmas,
it's the best present I ever got."
• “That's great," said his uncle. "What made the difference, did you learn how to play it?"
• "Oh, I don't play it and that’s why it’s so great," replied the boy.
• The uncle puzzled asked him “What do you mean?”
• The boy answered:
"Well, My mom gives me a 50p not to play it during the daytime
and my dad gives me £1 a week not to play it at night”.
Well, this year, just like every year:
• Millions of people, both children and adults,
• Will open millions of gifts.