Summary: God is a loving Father Who will chastise.
PROV. 3:11-12 “GOD’S GONNA WHIP YOU IF YOU DON’T QUIT IT!”
A) I want to say three things about myself as a Christian!
* First of all I am saved ... I am saved because I have repented of my sin, and by faith accepted the
Lord Jesus Christ, and received Him as my Lord.
* Furthermore, I am sure ... I know that I am saved and I know I am saved because God’s Word
says so ... Romans 10:13 “For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.”
B) But I am also secure! * Now, I don’t like the phrase, “once saved, always saved.”
* It is a dangerous phrase because you basically are teaching people that they have a license to sin,
and they will go out and live like they want to.
* There’s something wrong with people who have that philosophy, because when God saves you,
He changes your want to!
* A man said to Dwight L. Moody one time, “You must be miserable as a Christian.”
C) Moody said, “Why do you say that?”
* He said, “Because I get to sin all I want to and you don’t.”
* Moody said, “I get to sin all I want to.” * He said, “You do?”
* He said, “Yea, I just don’t want to.” * That is exactly what God does for His children!
D) But secondly, God won’t let you live like you want to and be happy!
* If you’re saved, then you remember this: “If you are bound to sin, you are bound to suffer.”
* A Christian is not someone who can’t sin ... A Christian is someone who can’t sin and enjoy it.
* Listen attentively as I preach on the subject, “God’s Gonna Whip You If You Don’t Quit It.”
E) I heard about a young boy that went off to one of these extremely expensive universities!
* The bills were coming in monthly to these parents, and they were struggling to keep their head
above water. * One day his mother received a letter from him that read like this:
* “Dear Mom: I’m writing to inform you that I have flunked all of my courses.”
* “I had an accident and totally wrecked my car, I owe the clothing store in town $2000 .......”
* “And I have been suspended for the next semester because of misconduct.”
* “I am coming home, prepare Dad!” * His mother wrote a one line letter back to him that just
said this: “Dear son: Dad is prepared, prepare yourself.”
F) God is prepared to deal with His children when they sin!
* There are three ways God could deal with us when we sin .......
G) First of all, God could condemn us!
* Even after a person is saved, the first time they sin God could just go ahead and send them to
hell. * But God won’t do that, for the Bible says in Rom.8:1 “There is therefore now no .......”
H) Secondly: God could condone us!
* God could just stick His head in the sand and ignore our sin and overlook it.
* But God cannot and will not do that because He is a holy, righteous, and just God that lets no sin
go unpunished! * God always has to deal with sin because of His character!
* But the third way that God could deal with us, and the way that He does deal with us is .......
I) He can correct us! * You see, if God condemned us after we sinned .......
* Then that would be pure legalism; that is, if you sin, you go to hell!