Summary: How and why God showed great mercy to Israel even with impending judgment
GOD’S GREAT MERCY EVEN IN JUDGMENT
I. THE RESTORATION OF THE RUINS (8-12)
A. God will not utterly destroy the house of Jacob
B. God will not lose one “grain” of his people
C. God will restore things as they once were
II. THE REJUVENATION OF THE REAPING (13)
13"Yes indeed, it won’t be long now." GOD’s Decree. "Things are going to happen so fast your head will swim, one thing fast on the heels of the other. You won’t be able to keep up. Everything will be happening at once--and everywhere you look, blessings! Blessings like wine pouring off the mountains and hills. (the Message)
III. THE REPLANTING OF THE REMNANT (14-15)
A. God will bring the people back
B. God will make them fruitful and productive in the land
C. God will never allow them to be removed again!
1. Israel became a nation again in 1948.
2. The Israeli flag flew once again over Jerusalem in 1967.
3. According to Bible prophecy, the nation of Israel will never be uprooted. The kingdom God has promised them is well on the way to becoming a reality!
Why was God going to do this after inflicting such a severe judgment on the Northern Kingdom now and later on, the Southern Kingdom?
1. BECAUSE OF HIS PROMISES
Started with Abraham--Gen. 12:1-3, 7; 15:7; 17:8
Continued with Jacob--Gen. 28:10-14
Reaffirmed to David--2 Samuel 7:12-16
2. BECAUSE OF HIS PLANS
Israel is the focal point of both history and prophecy. God’s plan has always been for Israel to have their land. They will possess in one day as guaranteed by God and the Kingdom will be theirs!
The Ultimate Restoration of Israel
1. Isa. 27; 42-44; 65-66 7. Obadiah 17, 21
2. Jer. 30-33 8. Micah 7:14-20
3. Ezek. 36-47; 40-48 9. Zeph. 3:14-20
4. Dan. 9:20-27; 12:1-3 10. Hag. 2:20-23
5. Hosea 2:14-23; 14:4-7 11. Zech. 13-14
6. Joel 3:16-21 12. Mal. 4:1-3
3. BECAUSE OF HIS PUPOSE
See Acts 15:15-19 & 2 Peter 3:9
See also Zech: 8:20-23.