Summary: God's Greatest Gift
Isaiah 9:1-7 God's Greatest Gift
I. The Mystery Of The Gift - 6 For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given
A. The Son Was Sent For The Sin Of Man
Isa 59:16 And he saw that there was no man, and wondered that there was no intercessor: therefore his arm brought salvation unto him; and his righteousness, it sustained him.
B. The Son Was Sent For The Soul Of Man
John 10:10 The thief cometh not, but for to steal, and to kill, and to destroy: I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly.
C. The Son Was Sent For The Salvation Of Man
Luke 19:10 For the Son of man is come to seek and to save that which was lost
II. The Majesty Of The Gift - 6 the government shall be upon his shoulder:
A. The Authority He Deserves
7 Of the increase of his government and peace there shall be no end, upon the throne of David, and upon his kingdom, to order it, and to establish it with judgment and with justice from henceforth even for ever. The zeal of the LORD of hosts will perform this.
1. He Would Establish Justice & 2. He Would Execute Judgement
B. The Ability He Displays
1. He Would Provide Everlasting Peace
7 Of the increase of his government and peace there shall be no end
2. He Would Provide it Perfectly - to order it, and to establish it with judgment and with justice
3. He Would Provide it Permanently - from henceforth even for ever
4. He Would Provide it Personally - The zeal of the LORD of hosts will perform this.
III. The Message Of The Gift - 6 and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counsellor, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace.
A. He Shall Be Called Wonderful
1. Wonderful In His Name
2. Wonderful In His Fame
3. Wonderful In His Aim
B. He Shall Be Called Counsellor
1. Offering Real Hope 2. Offering Real Help 3. Offering Real Healing
C. He Shall Be Called The Mighty God
1. Mighty In His Creation 2. Mighty In His Conception
3. Mighty In His Character 4. Mighty In His Crucifixion
5. Mighty In His Conquest - Over Death, The devil, hell & the Grave.
6. Mighty In His Coming
D. He Shall Be Called The Everlasting Father
Ps 90:2 Before the mountains were brought forth, or ever thou hadst formed the earth and the world, even from everlasting to everlasting, thou art God
1. Everlasting In His Word
2. Everlasting In His Work
3. Everlasting In His Worth
E. He Shall Be Called The Prince Of Peace
1. He Will Provide Personal Peace (John 14:27) Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid.
2. He Will Provide Perfect Peace (Isaiah 26:3) Thou wilt keep him in perfect peace, whose mind is stayed on thee: because he trusteth in thee.
3. He Will Provide Perpetual Peace
IV. The Marvel Of The Gift
A. Undisputed In His Destiny — Wonderful
B. Unerring In His Decisions — Counsellor
C. Unquestionable In His Deity — The Mighty God
D. Unending In His Days — The Everlasting Father
E. Unrivalled In His Dominian — The Prince Of Peace