Summary: People like to give gifts to others during the holiday season. Have you considered, however, the gift that God has given you?
1. We have just passed the time of year where people are scurrying about trying to find just the right gift for someone else.
a. That desire is often motivated by love, and other times it is driven by a duty.
b. In some instances people are foolishly adding to their debt in order to purchase one more present.
c. Hanging over all the shopping and purchasing is a hard-driving ad campaign to encourage people to buy more and find the right gift for that special person.
2. All this gift-buying and gift-giving reminds me of a much more important gift that was given centuries ago.
a. It isn’t hard to see all the good gifts God has given man.
d. God has given and continues to give all manner of wonderful gifts to people all over the world.
3. But there is one gift, above all others, that God has given to the world.
I. God Gave His Only Son.
1. Of all the gifts people have received none is greater than the gift of God’s Son.
2. Of all the gifts God has given to mankind, none is greater than the gift of His Son.
3. In Jesus, God gave mankind a way out of sin.
4. In Jesus, God gave everyone a path back to Him.
5. In Jesus, God demonstrated His love for people by giving the greatest gift of all.
B. God gave this marvelous gift because He loves people and wants to save us from sin.
2. God gave His Son and asks us to give in return (our obedience).
II. The Gift Is Free.
1. During this season, gifts are exchanged because it is expected.
a. Family members buy for each other (Employees, friends, etc.)
B. God’s gift is not like that.
1. We cannot earn it and we do not deserve it.
2. We received this gift “while we were yet sinners.” (Rom. 5:8)
3. We had no relationship with God because we were sinners, yet God gives us the free gift of eternal life through the gift of His Son.
4. Ephesians 2:4-6 (quickview) , “But God, being rich in mercy, because of His great love with which He loved us, even when we were dead in our transgressions, made us alive together with Christ (by grace you have been saved), and raised us up with Him, and seated us with Him in the heavenly places, in Christ Jesus,”
a. God reached out to us even when we were undeserving and unworthy
b. We give gifts to those who treat us a certain way or who are related to us.
c. God freely gave in order to save people who were undeserving.
III. The Gift is Expensive.
A. II Cor. 5:21, “He made Him who knew no sin to be sin on our behalf, that we might become the righteousness of God in Him.”
1. He died for us and became sin for us. He took our guilt and accepted it as His own.