Summary: The love of God is foundational and unquestionable.
1. The love of God is foundational & unquestionable.
• Jesus is GOOD SHEPHERD who laid down His life for the sheep!
• In His life, His death, His resurrection, He poured into our very hearts His own special love!
• He didn’t just sprinkle His love, or scatter His love, but rather He LAVISHED IT upon us in overflowing amounts!
Romans 5:5 (NKJV) 5 Now hope does not disappoint, because the love of God has been poured out in our hearts by the Holy Spirit who was given to us.
NOTE: We have this increasing joy of His love in our lives.
• THE LOVE of God is so different than what this world offers.
• Truly, the WORLD’S LOVE is in opposition to God’s love.
• Read through 1 John 2:15-17
NOTE: It’s true, God’s love is unlike any other love.
• Today we’ll see just how wonderful God’s love is and how He demonstrated it through his Son Jesus Christ.
• So, if you’re taking notes…
#1 – (v6) God’s love is UNCONDITIONAL. V6
• Jesus died for who? The UNGODLY.
• We were absolutely hopeless & helpless when Lord died for us.
• We couldn’t help out even a little bit.
• Really, God doesn’t need my help.
HAVE YOU NOTICED how many times we read of people in the Bible that decided to help God out a little… and failed.
• Abram & Sarah… they decided to help God out a little and Ishmael was born to them.
Genesis 17:19 (NKJV) 19 Then God said: “No, Sarah your wife shall bear you a son, and you shall call his name Isaac; I will establish My covenant with him for an everlasting covenant, and with his descendants after him.
• King Saul… he decides to not destroy ALL the Amalikites, but ends up dying at the hand of one.
1 Samuel 15:14 (NKJV) 14 But Samuel said, “What then is this bleating of the sheep in my ears, and the lowing of the oxen which I hear?”
• James & John… they decided to help the ministry a little by calling fire down from heaven to take of people.
Luke 9:55-56 (NKJV) 55 But He turned and rebuked them, and said, “You do not know what manner of spirit you are of. 56 For the Son of Man did not come to destroy men’s lives but to save them.” And they went to another village.
• Even Peter… he tried to defend the Lord in the garden and cut a guys ear off.
Matthew 26:52-53 (NKJV) 52 But Jesus said to him, “Put your sword in its place, for all who take the sword will perish by the sword. 53 Or do you think that I cannot now pray to My Father, and He will provide Me with more than twelve legions of angels?
THE TRUTH IS YOU & I cannot help God out. He doesn’t need it.
• That’s why my heart grieves when I hear of ministers & ministries talk about how much God needs your help.
• If you don’t send in you pledge or seed faith vow, our ministry will shut down.
LISTEN… God isn’t broke. He isn’t dependent upon us either.
Ephesians 3:20 (NKJV) 20 Now to Him who is able to do exceedingly abundantly above all that we ask or think, according to the power that works in us,
Philippians 4.19 And my God shall supply all your need according to His riches in glory by Christ Jesus.
Where & When God guides, He always provides!
• Oh what a wonderful lesson to learn. God’s faithfulness!
• If God’s in it, then He is going to provide all that we need.
• He’ll provide the money, people, open doors, the faith!
• It’s just so awesome to step back and watch God work!
• You are sitting in something that forever will remind us of God’s faithfulness to a group of people who simply want to seek Him!
• We have learned to trust in the Lord for all of our needs.
MAYBE you’re here today for the first time, or for the first time in a long time and have a hard time admitting you’re helpless!
• It’s hard to say isn’t it? But you can cry out to God who helps the helpless & sends His Son to those who are without strength!
#1 – (v6) God’s love is UNCONDITIONAL. V6
#2 – (v7) God’s love is INCOMPARABLE! (v7)
• We experience love on so many levels with others in this world.
• But the love of God has no comparison.
• Think of someone like Pastor Chuck Smith taken hostage.
• They say, “We’re going to kill this man unless someone steps up to replace him.” Well MANY PROBABLY WOULD step up.