Summary: Loosely hang on to the perishable things of life; firmly grasp the unshakeable kingdom of God.
[If you would like to receive weekly sermons by email, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org]
Many people are afraid that some day in the near future, the world will come to an end: (1) nuclear war, (2) global warming, (3) 2012 phenomenon. (Remember Y2K?)
Haggai’s fourth message foretells of a time when this world, as we know it, will come to an end.
[Read Haggai 2:20-23]
• “This ‘telephone’ has too many shortcomings to be seriously considered as a means of communication. The device is inherently of no value to us.”—Western Union internal memo, 1876
• “Everything that can be invented has been invented.”—Charles H. Duell, Commissioner, U.S. Office of Patents, 1872
• “I think there is a world market for maybe five computers.”—Thomas Watson, chairman of IBM, 1943
• “There is no reason anyone would want a computer in their home.”—Ken Olson, president, chairman, and founder of Digital Equipment Corp., 1977
• “We don’t like their sound, and guitar music is on the way out.”—Decca Recording Co. rejecting The Beatles, 1962
People have made many bad predictions, but I believe when God says something will happen, it will happen (“I will”).
“Tell Zerubbabel governor of Judah that I will shake the heavens and the earth. I will overturn royal thrones and shatter the power of the foreign kingdoms. I will overthrow chariots and their drivers; horses and their riders will fall, each by the sword of his brother” (2:21-22).
This “day” (v. 23) is what the Bible calls “the day of the Lord.”
• There is coming a day of JUDGMENT.
The LORD Almighty has a day in store for all the proud and lofty, for all that is exalted (and they will be humbled) (Isaiah 2:12).
For the day is near, the day of the LORD is near—a day of clouds, a time of doom for the nations (Ezekiel 30:3).
Before [the nations] the earth shakes, the sky trembles, the sun and moon are darkened, and the stars no longer shine. The LORD thunders at the head of his army; his forces are beyond number, and mighty are those who obey his command. The day of the LORD is great; it is dreadful. Who can endure it? (Joel 2:10-11).
But the day of the Lord will come like a thief. The heavens will disappear with a roar; the elements will be destroyed by fire, and the earth and everything in it will be laid bare (2 Peter 3:10).
“Immediately after the distress of those days ‘the sun will be darkened, and the moon will not give its light; the stars will fall from the sky, and the heavenly bodies will be shaken.’ At that time the sign of the Son of Man will appear in the sky, and all the nations of the earth will see the Son of Man coming on the clouds of the sky, with power and great glory” (Matthew 24:29-30).
• There is coming a day of JUSTICE.
THE KING OF KINGS
“‘On that day,’ declares the LORD Almighty, ‘I will take you, my servant Zerubbabel son of Shealtiel,’ declares the LORD, ‘and I will make you like my signet ring, for I have chosen you,’ declares the LORD Almighty” (2:23).
Sometimes when the Old Testament speaks about an individual, it has his descendents in mind. Example: “My servant David will be king over them, and they will all have one shepherd” (Ezekiel 37:24).