Summary: Anxiety is a sign of not trusting in God's ability to provide for our needs.
• GRINCH CLIP
• SLIDE #1
• Have you got your Christmas shopping done yet?
• As we approach Christmas we have to be careful not to lose sight of what is really important.
• As a matter of fact, we need to be careful not to lose sight of what life is all about.
• During Christmas families will spend a lot of time and money on gifts. We spend a lot of time and money looking for the perfect gift.
• With the amount of money spent many families stress out about Christmas.
• The Gallop Economy web site estimates the average family will spend about $770 on gifts this Christmas. (http://www.gallup.com/poll/158897/christmas-spending-intentions-pace-2011.aspx)
• 30% of those polled were planning to spend a $1000 or more.
• I guess we can see why Christmas can be stressful to many.
• Today I really do not want to spend time talking about spending and Christmas, but I want us to focus on another blessing we can be thankful for as Christians.
• Today in our Thankful Blessing Series we will examine the blessing of God’s provision.
• There are a lot of stresses and pressures in life, especially when we look at our economy. Talks of fiscal cliffs that the politicians dreamed up. Talks of rising taxes.
• It can get to the point that we are consumed by anxiety.
• In this series we have been working on shining light on the blessing that we receive from God that we do not really think about.
• This reminds me of the air we breathe, until it is gone, we do not give it much thought.
• In our text Jesus is addressing the disciples. He is telling them that Christmas is coming and for them not to stress out about their credit card debt.
• In the section we are going to examine together today, Jesus is going to share a practical way in which one can show which master he or she serves.
• On put another way, Jesus shares one of the blessings of making Him the one you choose to serve.
• SLIDE #2
• Matthew 6:25 (quickview) –26 (ESV) 25 “Therefore I tell you, do not be anxious about your life, what you will eat or what you will drink, nor about your body, what you will put on. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothing? 26 Look at the birds of the air: they neither sow nor reap nor gather into barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not of more value than they?
• SLIDE #3
I. God’s provides the necessities for life.
• As we look verse 25, we see the word THEREFORE. This indicates that since one can serve two masters and since you have chosen to serve Jesus, you do not have to be anxious for the necessities of life.
• When we have s SINGLE-MINDED devotion to Jesus (no one can serve two masters) we can enjoy the peace of knowing God will take care of us! WE can be free from anxiety.