Summary: Sermon based on 2 Chronicles 7:14 - God’s people who are called by His name, humbling themselves, seeking His face, and turning from their wicked ways.
I. If We Are God’s People.
That means that every person in this room this morning, every person in Hellesdon, every person in Norwich, every person in England, every person in Europe, every person in the world, is, is a creation of God.
1. The population of the world continues to increase, and is now over 4 billion people.
2. However, not all are God’s people in the spiritual sense, because many hate God, others reject Him, and still others simply ignore Him.
3. Only those who have been born again have a relationship with God, the same relationship as a child to his father.
1. Jesus was addressing a group of Jews who claimed a special kinship with God.
2. Yet they hated Christ and sought to kill Him.
3. Jesus told them “If God were your Father, ye would love me...”
There is a vast difference between the true people of God and other people.
1. God’s people have trusted in Someone other than themselves.
2. God’s people seek His glory rather than their own.
3. God’s people are serving God and not Satan.
a. There is no neutral ground.
b. Jesus said, “He that is not with me is against me.”
c. If we are not serving Him, then we are against Him! Strong words when we realise that means we are anti-Christ!
4. God’s people are headed in a different direction.
a. All men come into this world the same way.
b. All come to the point of making a decision whether to follow Christ or go their own way.
II. If We Are Called By His Name.
A. If we are called by his name, then we are called Christians.
2. The name was given to them in scorn.
3. Now this is the brightest badge that anyone can wear.
4. It means to be Christ-like.
B. However, we must strive live up to that name.
1. Alexander the Great found that one of his soldiers that carried the name of Alexander had proven to be a coward.
2. He called the man to appear before him and instructed him to either live up to the name or change it!
3. If we bear the name of Christ, the world expects more of us!
4. Others may go certain places and do certain things and the world pays no attention to them, but if we carry the name of Christ...
5. We must be careful how we live, how we act, what we say, and where we go!
III. If We Are God’s People, Called By His Name, Then Here Is What We Must Do!
A. First, we are to humble ourselves.
1. This isn’t easy for the average person.
2. We are a proud and boastful people.
3. Our technology is far advanced, our standard of living is the highest, and our luxuries are out of this world.
4. To humble ourselves means not only to confess our sins to God, but also to admit that there is nothing good within us and that we can do no - thing without Him.
6. Oh how we need to humble ourselves before God and seek His blessing upon us!