Summary: What comes to mind when you think about the eyes of God? Do you envision Him looking down upon a fallen world as portrayed in The Great Gatsby? Do you see Him turning his back on us and not looking at all? Or do you picture Him as an eternal loving Father
“God’s Watchful Care”
(Third in the series Power in the Blood)
NOTE: This message has four points. Point 2 comes from Pat Damiani’s “When Jesus Calls My Name” on www.sermoncentral.com
Introduction: What comes to mind when you think about the eyes of God? Do you envision Him looking down upon a fallen world as portrayed in The Great Gatsby? Do you see Him turning his back on us and not looking at all? Or do you picture Him as an eternal loving Father always keeping an attentive eye upon His children?
Proposition: This message is aimed at believers. We have left the wilderness of sin; we have obtained salvation. Now the eyes of the LORD are upon us!
1. He is Jehovah (Psalm 83:18)
A. Jehovah El’ohim. “Self-Existent, Eternal Creator”
• In Genesis we see Him take a world that was in chaos: Without form, dark, void, and turn it into something beautiful.
He was before time. There is no time with God: He was and is and is to come.
John 1:1: In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. The same was in the beginning with God. All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made. In him was life; and the life was the light of men.
Verse 14: And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth.
• Before you ever had a problem – he was God
• Before you were sick – he was God.
• Before you were broke – he was God.
• Before you ever went through the stuff you went through HE WAS GOD.
• 2500 times in the Word he is referred to as Jehovah El’ohim.
• Hebrews 11:3 Through faith we understand that the worlds were framed by the word of God, so that things which are seen were not made of things which do appear.
B. Jehovah Jireh – “The Lord will provide.”
• In Genesis 22, Abraham led Isaac up the mountain.
• Genesis 22:14 And Abraham called the name of that place Jehovahjireh: as it is said to this day, In the mount of the LORD it shall be seen.
• 2 Peter 1:3 According as his divine power hath given unto us all things that pertain unto life and godliness, through the knowledge of him that hath called us to glory and virtue:
Jesus was our Provision on Calvary.
* Isaiah 1: 18 Come now, and let us reason together, saith the LORD: though your sins be as scarlet, they shall be as white as snow; though they be red like crimson, they shall be as wool.
Philippians 4:19 But my God shall supply all your need according to his riches in glory by Christ Jesus.
C. Jehovah Adonai – “The Lord our Sovereign Master.”
• Teacher – Nicodemus - John 3:2 came to Jesus by night, and said unto him, Rabbi, we know that thou art a teacher come from God:
• Master of the Sea and Wind. Luke 8:24 And they came to him, and awoke him, saying, Master, master, we perish. Then he arose, and rebuked the wind and the raging of the water: and they ceased, and there was a calm.
• Demons. - Luke 9:1 Then he called his twelve disciples together, and gave them power and authority over all devils, and to cure diseases.
• Disease. - Matthew 9:35 And Jesus went about all the cities and villages, teaching in their synagogues, and preaching the gospel of the kingdom, and healing every sickness and every disease among the people.
• Death - 1 Corinthians 15:54-55 tells us that through Christ, Death is swallowed up in victory. O death, where is your sting? O grave, where is your victory?
D. Jehovah Nissi –“The Lord our Banner.”
• In Exodus 17 Moses stood on the side of the hill as the Israelites battled the Amalekites.
• As long as his hands were in the air Israel would be winning.
• As soon as his hands lowered, they would start losing.
• Exodus 17:15 And Moses built an altar, and called the name of it Jehovahnissi:
E. Jehovah Shammoh – “The Lord is there.”
• We can go to the cliff of the world’s highest mountain, He is there.
• We can go to the deepest cave, He is there.
• 2 Samuel 23:11-12 And after him was Shammah the son of Agee the Hararite. And the Philistines were gathered together into a troop, where was a piece of ground full of lentiles: and the people fled from the Philistines. But he stood in the midst of the ground, and defended it, and slew the Philistines: and the LORD wrought a great victory.