Summary: This message looks at the account of Philip and the Ethiopian Eunuch being a model of evangelistic outreach.
Going to Our Gaza: Building a Bold Outreach Ministry
I. There is the Commission to Go (v. 26)
A. Philip was not given a choice whether to go
“…Arise and go….”- v. 26a
1. We as a church are not given an option
2. We as individuals are not given an option
B. Philip was given a definite area
“…toward the south along the road which goes down from Jerusalem to Gaza…”- v. 26b
1. We must determine the reach of our church
2. We must pray that God would widen our area of influence
3. We must pray that God would go before us into those areas.
C. Philip went from the revival in Samaria to the desert road near Gaza.
“This is desert.”- v. 26c
1. We must not limit our effort to a particular race
2. We must not limit our effort to an economic level
3. We must not limit our effort to just our immediate area
II. There is the Commission to Confront (v. 27-35)
A. The Holy Spirit had set the stage (v. 27-29)
1. We must always pray that God would go before us
2. We must always be obedient to the leading of the Holy Spirit
“Go near and overtake his chariot..” - v. 29
B. We must be willing to confront people with their condition (v. 30-31)
There is only two categories of people:
• Those that are saved
• Those that are lost
C. We must understand how religious our world is today (v. 32-35)
1. There are many that know about Jesus
2. There are many that may profess to know Christ
3. There must be a boldness to preach (proclaim) Jesus
“Then Philip opened his mouth, and beginning at this Scripture, preached Jesus to him.” – v. 35
III. There is the Commission to Challenge (v. 36-38)
A. We must challenge to definite decision
1. If God is leading us
2. If God is obviously working in them
B. We must challenge their understanding
1. It is nothing we do that merits salvation
2. It is nothing we do that brings about salvation
3. It is only through the Person of Jesus and His work
C. We must challenge their obedience
1. A changed heart will desire baptism
2. A changed heart will desire to worship
3. A changed heart will despise sin and love the things of God
IV. There is the Commission to Continue (v. 39-40)
A. Philip did not rest on one victory – We must not rest on past victories
“…the Spirit of the Lord caught Philip away…” – v. 39
B. Philip was not confined to one area – We must allow God to expand our area.
“…he preached in all the cities till he came to Caesarea.” – v. 40
C. We are to continue until His return (Luke 19:11-13)
1. Has God stirred you’re your heart to publicly profess Him tonight?
2. Has God stirred your heart to go to someone and share your faith?
3. Has God stirred your heart to come and pray for that friend or loved one?
4. Has God stirred your heart to make a commitment to be part of our outreach ministry?