Summary: This is an interactive service of dialog, Scripture and music focusing on the cross and on the fact that God sent Jesus for everyone of the people involved in that one 24 hour period that changed the world forever.
This is not so much a sermon but an entire service of dialog, Scripture and music all mixed together. It is of a limited "cast" due to the nature of broadcasting on FB Live. Only two people needed if one can play a guitar or other instrument. All music is Public Domain so licensing is not an issue.
Welcome and Prayer
Good Friday is a service of remembrance
The Jewish day is from 6 PM – 6 PM
Do you know what an interventions is (explain)
The greatest intervention of all time would take place in this one single, solitary day we will be remembering tonight.
At the Cross (Eb(C – Capo 3))
Alas and did my Savior bleed - And did my Sov'reign die
Would He devote that sacred head - For sinners such as I
Was it for crimes that I have done He groaned upon the tree
Amazing pity grace unknown - And love beyond degree
Well might the sun in darkness hide and shut His glories in
When Christ the mighty Maker died for man the creature's sin
One of the most famous verses in the Bible is John 3:16.
“For God so loved the world that He gave His One and Only Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish but have eternal life.”
“For God so loved the world”
When Jesus spoke those words He had just taught Nicodemus that he must be born again in order to have eternal life.
Now in John 3:16 Jesus is telling Nicodemus and all of us how eternal life is provided for and what we must do to find it.
“For God” (the Trinity)
“so loved” (so GREATLY) loved
“the world” (all the people who would ever live on earth”
“For God so greatly loved the world” is why what happened on that night almost 2,000 years ago took place …
Let’s watch God’s great love for the people of the world in action as we walk through the events of that night.
The Last Supper:
- This is the first meal of the Passover observance
- Jesus sends Peter and John ahead to prepare the meal
- Jesus washes the feet of the disciples as a servant
- Jesus teaches the disciples
- During the meal Jesus breaks the bread and passes it saying, “This is My body given for you; do this in remembrance of Me.”
- Jesus passes the cup to His disciples saying, “This cup is the new covenant in My blood, which is poured out for you.”
- Jesus says He will be betrayed
- In the middle of all of this the disciples argue about which of them is considered to be the greatest!
- Jesus tells Peter that he will deny even knowing Jesus
- Jesus prays for His disciples
- They sing a hymn and leave
God so greatly loved Peter, James and John, Andrew, Philip, Bartholomew, Matthew, Thomas, James son of Alphaeus, Thaddaeus, Simon the Zealot and Judas Iscariot.
Yes … God so greatly loved them that He gave His only Begotten Son …
Wounded For Me (C – Capo 1)
C F G C
Wounded for me wounded for me
Am D G
There on the cross He was wounded for me
Gone my transgressions and now I am free
F#om C G C
All because Jesus was wounded for me
C F G C
Dying for me dying for me
Am D G
There on the cross He was dying for me
Now in His death my redemption I see
F#om C G C
All because Jesus was dying for me
Next we go to the Garden of Gethsemane.
- Jesus leaves eight of His disciples in one place and takes Peter, James and John further with Him.
- Jesus tells Peter, James and John, “My soul is overwhelmed with sorrow to the point of death. Stay here and keep watch with Me.”
- Jesus prays repeatedly, “My Father, if it is not possible for this cup to be taken away unless I drink it, may Your will be done.”
- The disciples sleep …
- A mob armed with clubs and swords sent from the Jewish leaders comes to arrest Jesus
- Judas identifies Jesus to the mob with a kiss
- The mob arrests Jesus and takes Him to the chief priest
For God so greatly loved the disciples who couldn’t stay awake …
For God so greatly loved the Jewish leaders who sent the mob …
For God so greatly loved those with clubs and swords …
… that He gave His One and Only Son … for them …
Song - When I Survey (C – Capo 1)