Summary: The Gospel is a powerhouse for ALL who believe, no matter what color of skin, no matter what race, no matter what age.
TEXT: Romans 1:16-17
16 For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; to the Jew first, and also to the Greek.
17 For therein is the righteousness of God revealed from faith to faith: as it is written, The just shall live by faith. (KJV)
I. THE GOSPEL IS AN EMBARASSMENT TO SOME
A. SOME ARE ASHAMED OF IT’S MAIN CHARACTER
1. Jesus is it’s main character
2. Jesus is THE Way, Truth, and Life (John 14:6)
3. Neither is there salvation in any other (Acts 4:12)
B. SOME ARE ASHAMED TO ADMIT THAT THEY NEED HIM
1. We’ve all sinned (Romans 3:23)
2. There is none righteous (Romans 3:10)
3. Nobody is perfect
4. All we like sheep have gone astray (Isa.53:6)
5. We all need a Savior and Jesus is the only Savior (Acts 4:12)
C. SOME ARE ASHAMED TO PREACH THE CONSEQUENCES
1. Some are ashamed to preach about Hell.
2. They claim that Hell is offensive.
3. But, there is a real hell for those who reject the gospel (Rev 21:8)
4. According to Matt 8:12 it is a place of "outer darkness" where "there shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth."(KJV)
5. If Jesus and Paul weren’t ashamed to preach it, I won’t be ashamed of it either!
II. THE GOSPEL IS A POWERHOUSE FOR BELIEVERS
A. WHERE IS THE POWER?
1. It’s the same place it has always been.
2. It’s in God’s Words
3. When God speaks, things happen.
4. Thousands of years ago, God said, "Let there be light..."
5. Light is still "being" today.
a. Light went out from God when he spoke and it is still going
b. It never stopped
c. It’s easy to believe that light never stopped
d. Why not believe that God’s Word never stopped?
B. THE POWER IS IN THE WORD OF GOD
1. Ps 107:20 "He sent his word, and healed them, and delivered
them from their destructions." (KJV)
2. Isa 40:8 "The grass withereth, the flower fadeth: but the word of our God shall stand for ever." (KJV)
3. Isa 55:11 "So shall my word be that goeth forth out of my mouth: it shall not return unto me void, but it shall accomplish that which I please, and it shall prosper in the thing whereto I sent it." (KJV)
C. MANY PEOPLE DON’T WANT TO HEAR THE WORD
1. They say, "Tell me what it means, not what it says!"
2. They are avoiding the life changing power of God’s Word!
3. They need to hear the unadulterated Word of God!
4. They need to read it, hear it, meditate on it, and believe it!
D. FAITH COMETH BY HEARING ...THE WORD OF GOD
1. Rom 10:17 "So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God." (KJV)
2. Faith is built by hearing the Commands, Counsels, and Promises of God’s unmerited favor towards you!
III. THIS GOSPEL POWER IS FOR ALL WHO BELIEVE
(Romans 1:16 "...to everyone that beleiveth...")
A. THE POWER IS TO THOSE WHO "BELIEVE"
1. "Believe" and "Faith" come from the same root word in the Greek.
2. It simply means to Trust God to do what He said He will do!
3. He said the blood of Jesus will cleanse you from your sin, do you believe it?
4. He said He will forgive if you will confess (1John 1:8-9).
Do you believe it?
IV. THIS GOSPEL POWER IS FOR ALL RACES