Summary: We live in a stressful sinful world every day and every where we go. Like the commercial says, “Got Milk?” My question today is “Got Stress?”
"The population of this country is 200 million. 84 million are retired. That leaves 116 million to do the work. There are 75 million in school, which leaves 41 million to do the work. Of this total, there are 22 million employed by the federal government. That leaves 19 million to do the work. 4 million are in the armed forces, which leaves 15 million to do the work. Take from that total the 14.8 million who work for state and city governments and that leaves 200,000 to do the work. There are 188,000 people in the hospital at any given time, leaving 12,000 to do the work. Currently, there are 11,998 people in jail. That leaves just two people to do the work - you and me. And you’re just sitting there listening. No wonder I’m tired and stressed!"
I lived and worked in a homeless mission for over four years. While I was there I went to a store one day to just get out of there and clear my mind. I saw a couple walking down the street fighting, screaming and yelling, and fussing with each other. I went to the mall and saw a mother screaming at her small child and picking him up by the arm and hitting him. We live in a stressful sinful world every day and every where we go. Like the commercial says, “Got Milk?” My question today is “Got Stress?”
I. Paul wrote to the Philippians who were stressed out about a lot of things.
A. Philippians 4:6 Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God.
1. To be anxious means to be pulled in different directions
2. It’s when life has a grip on you instead of you having a grip on life
3. It’s this out of control feeling that leads to major stress
a. And stress is unhealthy physically and spiritually
b. Leads to bad decisions leads to bad relationships which leads to sin and sin leads to death
c. Romans 6:23 For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.
4. When we ignore stress it will works it’s way out in a negative form or fashion.
a. We need to learn to lean on God for strength
1. Psalms 28:7 The LORD is my strength and my shield; in him my heart trusts, and I am helped; my heart exults, and with my song I give thanks to him.
2. Philippians 4:13 I can do all things through Him who strengthens me.
3. ALL THINGS; NOT SOME; NOT WHEN; OR IF; BUT; ALL THINGS.
II. Conditions must be met if we are going to deal with stress
A. First of all we must pray about everything
B. When stress comes up; look up; and start a conversation with God
1. The night before Jesus was crucified he went to the Garden of Gethsemane talk about loaded down with stress (knew He was going to die)
a. At some moment during that midnight hour an angel of mercy came over the weary body of Jesus in the garden
1. Luke 22:43 Now an angel from heaven appeared to Him, strengthening Him.
b. As He stands, the anguish is gone from his eyes
c. His fist will clench no more. His heart will fight no more.
d. The stress is gone; the battle was won.