Summary: Grace is the story of God providing Heaven and eternal blessings to those who should be sent to Hell.
GRACE FOR THE SINNER Ephesians 2:8
INTRODUCTION: Grace is the story of God providing Heaven and eternal blessings to those who should be sent to Hell. Grace is a gift (Romans 6:23b). Those who have accepted grace speak of it as John Newton, who said, “Amazing grace, how sweet the sound that saved a wretch like me.” Let us consider:
I. THE GRIME OF THE SINNER.
1. The condition of the sinner because of sin; Romans 3:23 for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God,
2. The control of the sinner because of sin; Romans 6:20 For when you were slaves of sin, you were free in regard to righteousness.
3. The consequence that comes to the sinner because of sin; Romans 6:23 For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.
II. THE GRACE OF THE SAVIOR
1. When grace is received there is salvation; John 1:12 But as many as received Him, to them He gave the right to become children of God, even to those who believe in His name,
2. When grace is accepted there is no condemnation; John 3:18 He who believes in Him is not judged; he who does not believe has been judged already, because he has not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.
3. When grace is fully believed there is assurance; I John 5:13 These things I have written to you who believe in the name of the Son of God, so that you may know that you have eternal life.
III. THE GROWTH OF THE SAVED
1. The believer lays aside carnal things; I Peter 2:1 Therefore, putting aside all malice and all deceit and hypocrisy and envy and all slander,
2. The believer learns by the Word of God; I Peter 2:2 like newborn babies, long for the pure milk of the word, so that by it you may grow in respect to salvation,
3. The believer lives in the Light; I John 1:7 but if we walk in the Light as He Himself is in the Light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus His Son cleanses us from all sin.
4. The believer loves the Lord in deed and in truth; I John 3:18 Little children, let us not love with word or with tongue, but in deed and truth.
IV. THE GUIDANCE OF THE SPIRIT
1. The believer is led by the Spirit. Romans 8:14 For all who are being led by the Spirit of God, these are sons of God.
2. The believer learns by the Spirit; John 16:13 But when He, the Spirit of truth, comes, He will guide you into all the truth; for He will not speak on His own initiative, but whatever He hears, He will speak; and He will disclose to you what is to come.
3. The believer has liberty of the Spirit; Romans 8:2 For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus has set you free from the law of sin and of death.