Summary: Grace Is Greater Than The Law – Hebrews chapter 12 verses 18-29 – sermon by Gordon Curley. PowerPoint slides to accompany this talk are available on request – email: firstname.lastname@example.org
• (1). Mount Sinai: the mountain of fear (vs 18-21).
• (2). Mount Zion: the mountain of faith (vs 22-24).
• If there is one word in the English language that is sure to cause a debate when spoken,
• It is the word is “greatest.”
• In fact, you can take almost any two people,
• And you can always stir trouble by using this simple word.
• i.e. Ask a football fan who was their teams greatest player;
• And they will debate one another for hours.
• i.e. Ask two car enthusiasts what is the greatest car ever made;
• And they will eagerly debate their opinion.
• i.e. Whether it’s the greatest politician, the greatest singer or song,
• i.e. The greatest movie ever made?
• i.e. The greatest preacher or hymn ever written.
• There is something about that word “greatest”
• That stirs something inside of us,
• And we will passionately defend our point of view.
• TRANSITION: One of the themes of the book of Hebrews is “The greatest”
• And when compared to the competition, the answer is always Jesus!
• i.e. Jesus Greater Than Angels (1:4-2:18)
• i.e. Jesus Greater Than Moses (3:1-6)
• i.e. Jesus Greater Than Aaron (4:14 to 5:10)
• i.e. Jesus Greater Than Melchizedek (7:1-17)
And because Jesus is ‘The Greatest’ and has achieved through his death & resurrection the greatest rewards;
• In the second half of this letter the writer talks about:
• A Greater Covenant (8:1-13)
• A Greater Sanctuary (9:1-28)
• A Greater Sacrifice (10:1-22)
• The Greatest Principle: Faith (11:1-40)
• The Greatest Encouragement (12: 1-13)
• The Greatest Activity: Worship (13:10-21)
Now this morning I have been asked to speak on:
• Hebrews chapter 12 verses 18-29.
• Which I am going to title ‘Grace Is Greater Than The Law’.
• There are 613 commands or laws in the first five books of the Bible,
• These five books are also known as the books of the law,
• Because they contain the laws and instruction given by the Lord through Moses;
• To the people of Israel.
• The most well-known of these laws are what we call ‘The Ten Commandments’
• There is a great book called: ‘The Year of Living Biblically:
• One Man's Humble Quest to Follow the Bible as Literally as Possible.’
• By A.J. Jacobs.
• He is not a Christian but a Jew;
• And took on the challenge of trying to follow every single rule in the Bible;
• As literally as possible.
• The book is insightful, challenging and at times very funny,
• And read through the eyes of a Christian;
• It will make you appreciative of all you have in Christ.
• TRANSITION: Every believer in Jesus Christ is not under Law;
• But under grace!
• And believe me, being under grace is so much greater than being under the law!