Summary: Grace is there when we want it all, leave it all, and waste it all.
Luke 15:11-24 “Grace meets us where we are, but does not leave us there”
I do not understand the mystery of grace -- only that it meets us where we are, but does not leave us where it found us.--Anne Lamott,
1. The Prodigal Son was like the following
• I want it all mentality 12The younger one said to his father, `Father, give me my share of the estate.'
• He left it all mentality 13"Not long after that, the younger son got together all he had, set off for a distant country and there squandered his wealth in wild living.
• He wasted it all type mentality 14After he had spent everything, there was a severe famine in that whole country, and he began to be in need
I have met grace in many places how about you?
1. I met grace In my mess says the Prodigal, “Grace met me when I wanted it all:”
• 12The younger one said to his father, `Father, give me my share of the estate. ‘So he divided his property between them. Grace was there but the prodigal never knew it.
• “I want it all Life” is a life of selfishness. Paul tells Timothy that in the last days this is how people will be, 2People will be lovers of themselves, lovers of money, boastful, proud, abusive, disobedient to their parents, ungrateful, unholy, 3without love, unforgiving, slanderous, without self-control, brutal, not lovers of the good, 4treacherous, rash, conceited, lovers of pleasure rather than lovers of God-- 5having a form of godliness but denying its power.
• Paul says, even the early Christians were selfish Philippians 2: 21For everyone looks out for his own interests, not those of Jesus Christ Grace found the Prodigal and us when we are selfish
2. Grace meets the Prodigal when He left it all.
• He set out for a far country He left Food to spare, He left security, He left comforts of the Fathers home
• I met grace says the Prodigal “ when he was no longer worthy to be called son.”
• I met Grace says the Prodigal when I was distant "But while he was still a long way off, his father saw him and was filled with compassion for him
• I met Grace says the Prodigal when I sinned , I have sinned against heaven and against you. 19I am no longer worthy to be called your son; make me like one of your hired men.' 20So he got up and went to his father. ; he ran to his son, threw his arms around him and kissed him.
3. Grace meet the Prodigal when He wasted it all
• The prodigal Son wasted His inheritance but grace was “quick” to respond 22"But the father said to his servants, `Quick! Bring the best robe and put it on him. Put a ring on his finger and sandals on his feet. 23Bring the fattened calf and kill it. Let's have a feast and celebrate
• When the prodigal wasted it all, he found compassion. The father saw him and was filled with compassion
• When the Prodigal wasted it all Grace met Him with Forgiveness:24For this son of mine was dead and is alive again; he was lost and is found.' So they began to celebrate.