Summary: Do you want to know how to be able to give good counsel and point people to hope in the midst of their suffering?
Great Faith Scrutinizes Human Counsel!
PROPOSITION: Because Christ showed compassion to you at the cross, you must compassionately point people to hope through a genuine saving faith in the midst of their suffering.
I. TRUE FAITH DEPENDS ON THE WRITTEN WORD OF GOD!
A. Your personal testimony is not always a reliable source for truth. 4:1-6
1. Job, you know how to handle adversity (3-4).
2. Job, be patient and rely on your testimony for hope (5-6).
B. Your personal observations are not always a reliable source for truth. 4:7-11
1. The argument explained: contrast between innocent and wicked (7-9).
2. The argument illustrated: God rules over proud evildoers (10-11).
C. Your special revelation is never a reliable source for truth. 4:12-21
1. An appeal to private revelation – auditory vision (12-16).
2. An appeal to twisted orthodox theology (17-21).
II. TRUE FAITH DEPENDS UPON THE LIVING WORD OF GOD!
A. Turn to Christ during periods of severe suffering. 5:1-7
1. He seems to indicate his religion lacks any messianic hope (1).
2. He seems to be warning Job of the consequences of his distress (2-5).
3. He says expect suffering it is the result of our sinfulness (6-7).
B. Seek Christ during periods of severe suffering. 5:8-16
1. Cry out to God for help through prayer (8-14).
2. Praise God for his power and mercy to help (15-16).
C. Experience Christ during periods of severe suffering. 5:17-27
1. Security in the midst of affliction is found in Him (17-26).
2. Successful living through affliction is found in Him (27).