Summary: Today is Memorial Day. Memorial Day is when we remember those who paid the ultimate sacrifice for our freedom’s here in America. We honor our slain heroes today.
John 15:12-17 - AMP
12. This is My commandment: that you love one another [just] as I have loved you.
13. No one has greater love [no one has shown stronger affection] than to lay down (give up) his own life for his friends.
14. You are My friends if you keep on doing the things which I command you to do.
15. I do not call you servants (slaves) any longer, for the servant does not know what his master is doing (working out). But I have called you My friends, because I have made known to you everything that I have heard from My Father. [I have revealed to you everything that I have learned from Him.]
16. You have not chosen Me, but I have chosen you and I have appointed you [I have planted you], that you might go and bear fruit and keep on bearing, and that your fruit may be lasting [that it may remain, abide], so that whatever you ask the Father in My Name [as presenting all that I AM], He may give it to you.
17. This is what I command you: that you love one another.
• Today is Memorial Day. Many get Memorial Day and Veterans Day confused. Veterans Day is when we remember all who are serving both past and present to protect our freedoms. Memorial Day is the day that we remember those who paid the ultimate sacrifice for our freedom’s here in America. We honor our slain heroes today.
I. WHAT IS LOVE?
A. Love is the most powerful force in the universe. In the Scriptures love is:
1. To be desired above all else, even faith and hope – I Corinthians 13:13
2. Mentioned first in the list which constitutes the fruit of the Spirit – Galatians 5:22
3. To be put on (adorned) above all else. – Colossians 3:14
B. The Greek word for love in John 15:13 is AGAPE.
1. There are four Greek words translated love. They are:
a. philia – brotherly love (Philidelphia – City of brotherly love)
b. storge - the love of family
c. eros – erotic, pornia or sexual love
d. agape - love which seeks the highest good of others (including our enemies)
43. You have heard that it was said, You shall love your neighbor and hate your enemy;
44. But I tell you, Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you,
2. Agape Love is identified by some of the following characteristics.
a. Is not earned…
b. Is given to all…
c. Is a choice and is shown on purpose…
d. Is an action…
A. The worlds greatest example of agape love is found in the Godhead.
1. God, our Heavenly Father, demonstrates agape love every time He saves a lost sinner who is completely undeserving of that love.
Romans 5:8 – But God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us.
2. Jesus, the first begotten Son of God, Head of the Church and our elder brother, demonstrated agape love on Calvary when He laid down His life for lost humanity.
1 John 3:16 TPT – This is how we have discovered love’s reality: Jesus sacrificed his life for us. Because of this great love, we should be willing to lay down our lives for one another.
II. WHY IS LOVE SO IMPORTANT TO THE CHRISTIAN?
A. What better way for a hurting world to experience the love of God then for Gods children to be examples of His love?
1. Jesus told his disciples to love their enemies. Why would Jesus tell His disciples to do this? Answer – Because God loves our enemies!
Matthew 5:43-45 TPT
43. “Your ancestors have also been taught ‘Love your neighbors and hate the one who hates you.’
44. However, I say to you, love your enemy, bless the one who curses you, do something wonderful for the one who hates you, and respond to the very ones who persecute you by praying for them.
45. For that will reveal your identity as children of your heavenly Father. He is kind to all by bringing the sunrise to warm and rainfall to refresh whether a person does what is good or evil.
a. God uses love to bring people back into the fold. Chances are, when your enemy experiences the love of God they will no longer be your enemy.
b. How else will our enemies ever experience the love of God if we do not show them God’s love through example?
B. It “marks us” to the world as a Christian!
1. The atmosphere of the Christian life ("walk in love") – Ephesians 5:2
2. The garment of the Christian ("put on love") – Colossians 3:14