Summary: Its impossible to grow unless you have a beginning and it is impossible not to grow if you do.
1. Letter to warn against threats to true faith
a. Legalism of Judaism
b. Spiritualism of Gnosticism
c. Ascendancy of the Flesh
2. Whole letter deals - vs. 2:6-7- concise answ.
a. same substitutions call us today
b. do’s & don’ts – spiritual snobbery of super Sts.
c. Flesh –taking credit for growth - sweat & tears
3. Last Weeks Memory Verse Philippians 4:13
a. Becoming a Can Do Christian –
on line nbcstarke.org
b. This weeks memory verse Colossians 2:6-7
As you have therefore received Christ Jesus the Lord, so walk you in him: 7 Rooted and built up in him, and stablished in the faith, as you have been taught, abounding therein with thanksgiving.
1. QUESTIONS THAT MUST BE ANSWERED
As you have therefore received
A. Have You Received
1. paralambano >come near / take hold; hold close
2. No way you can mistake – action on your part
3. therefore > certainly or accordingly; assumes
4. Do Not assume that you are saved
a. 2 Cor 3:15 Examine yourselves whether you be in the faith
b. Some that did not - Matthew 7:21-24
Not every one that says unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that does the will of my Father which is in heaven. 22 Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in Your name? and in Your name have cast out devils? and in Your name done many wonderful works? 23 And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, you that work iniquity. 24 Therefore whosoever hears these sayings of mine, and does them, I will liken him unto a wise man, which built his house upon a rock:
B. How Did You Receive
1. Drawn By the Holy Spirit
2. Convicted of Your Sin – specifically not gen.
3. Repented – turn from sin to Him
4. Saved Ephesians 2:8-9 For by grace are you saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: 9 Not of works, lest any man should boast.
5. 3 xs in James 3 “faith w/o works is dead”
6. 1 Corinthians 6:9-11 Know you not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind, 10 Nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners, shall inherit the kingdom of God. 11 And such were some of you: but you are washed, but you are sanctified, but you are justified in the name of the Lord Jesus, and by the Spirit of our God.
2. PERSON THAT MUST BE ACKNOWLEDGED
A. Do You Know Who Jesus Is?
1. Christ Jesus-
a. God’s anointed one
b. God saves
2. Acts 4:12 Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved.
B. Have you Allowed Him to Rule?
1. Christian is either submissive or in rebellion
2. Carnal Christian is a rebellious Christian
3. Daily coronation service – beginning HOURLY
a. Jesus you are the Lord of my Life – I bow to you and agree that you are in control & not me. Give me ears to hear and a will to do all that you command me to do. Thank You Jesus
3. WALK THAT MUST BE DELIBERATE