Summary: Our text for today speaks of a would be king/ leader who was having a similar struggle as was young Simba. How do you replace the greatest leader in all the history of your nation?
JOSHUA 1: 1-9; 3: 1-8, 14-17
FEBRUARY 18, 2001
INTRODUCTION: Hakuna Matata! What a wonderful Phrase. Hakuna Matata! Ain’t no passing craze. It means no worries for the rest of your days. It’s our problem-free philosophy. Hakuna Matata! From the movie “The Lion King.”
TRANSITION THOUGHT: Our text for today speaks of a would be king/ leader who was having a similar struggle as was young Simba. How do you replace the greatest leader in all the history of your nation? How do you follow up delivering all of God’s people from Egypt, the Ten Commandments, and the crossing of the Red Sea? It seemed awful intimidating to Joshua. So, what is the secret of “moving on in High Water?” Is it Hakuna Matata? I don’t rightly know, but I believe God’s word has some advice for us concerning how to move forward when the obstacles of life seem insurmountable!
THESIS SENTENCE: God always makes a way for HIS people!
BUT, HOW WILL GOD DO IT IN OUR LIVES?
I. THERE IS A PROMISE TO RECEIVE (VV. 1-6)
JUST WHAT DOES THE PROMISE LOOK LIKE?
A. EVERY PLACE! (Verse 3)
“I will give you every place where you set your foot, as I promised Moses.”
1. In the movie the Lion King, Mufasa takes his son to the top of Pride Rock and tells him, “The circle of Life never stops turning. One day the sun will set on my time as ruler and rise with you as King. Then everything the light touches will be yours.”
2. It’s just a movie, right? Can you imagine that kind of responsibility?!
3. Can you imagine the power? Joshua was overwhelmed and God knew it!
1. Verse 5, “No one will be able to stand against up against you all the days of your life.”
2. The power to stand! The power to stand against all foes!! Can you imagine the Power? Can you Imagine the Responsibility?
3. Remember the movie I mentioned last week, “Unbreakable,” with Bruce Willis? Can you imagine what it would be like if God told you that no one could harm you?
C. SMOTHERED WITH GOD!
1. Verse 5b, “As I was with Moses, so I will be with you; I will never leave you nor forsake you.”
2. Can you imagine the power? Can you imagine the responsibility?
ILLUSTRATION: Young Simba finds himself in trouble. He and his childhood playmate venture off to see the dark side beyond “The Pride Lands.” Mufasa saves the two and decides that this is definitely a teachable moment. “Aw, Dad. I was just trying to be brave like you,” Simba explained. Mufasa sighed. “Being brave doesn’t mean you go looking for trouble, Simba. A good king is wise as well as brave.” Simba suddenly felt very small. “We’ll always be together. Right, Dad?”
Mufasa looked up at the starry sky and said, “The great Kings of the past look down on us from those stars. So whenever you feel alone, just remember that those kings will always be there to guide you… and so will I.” Bad theology I grant you, concerning the great kings of the past, but Great Theology concerning the reality that GOD himself, the Great Lion King, Looks on us always to guide and to Comfort!
NOT ONLY IS THERE A PROMISE TO RECEIVE, BUT…